Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

2001 xj doesnt wanna start

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2011, 04:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default 2001 xj doesnt wanna start

Im sure some of u have experienced this before... my xj doesn't wanna start sometimes. Happens randomly almost like it isn't getting any fuel? . The couple times it happened I stepped on the gas to get it to start and stayed on the pedal for about thirty seconds or so. If I let off to early it would just shut off. Bad battery? ? I dunno what are your thoughts????
Old 03-18-2011, 04:48 PM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1987
Engine: Check

Not the battery, if it was the motor wouldn't crank at all.

What have you done for diagnosis?

When it does the no-start, try squirting starting fluid, brake parts cleaner, or ether directly into the throttle body with the butterfly open. If it startes and runs for a bit, then its a fuel problem.

Go from there, post back what you find.
Old 03-18-2011, 05:13 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 99
Engine: 4.0

i was gonna say.. any more info? sputtering, rough idle, popping, backfiring? try some sea foam if nothing else. with car running pour it directly into TB. you will need a friend to keep rpm's up (around 2-3k rpm)...
Old 03-18-2011, 05:44 PM
CF Veteran

Received 99 Likes on 88 Posts
Year: 1999

A marginal battery can create stalling. And you can have a battery that is strong enough to start the engine, but marginal enough to give the engine management system fits. Load test the battery to be sure. Any parts store will do this for you for free.

A dirty idle air control and throttle body are in play if battery checks out, as well as a faulty throttle position sensor.
Old 03-18-2011, 05:54 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 99

for that matter it could be any part of the ignition system; plugs and wires for example, or the fuel pump, or an o2 sensor... try to start simple. simple is generally free or really cheap. CEL? have you had it plugged into a code reader to see if there are any codes that are simply stored, but not tripping the CEL? had the fuel pressure or alternator tested?
Old 03-18-2011, 06:18 PM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 with all of the noise and clatter

Sounds like the idle air control motor to me.

And the O2 sensor is not part of the ignition system, only the emissions system. And pouring Seafoam down the throttle body can cause some major problems if not careful, like bent connecting rods from hydro locking the engine.

Last edited by Bustedback; 03-18-2011 at 06:21 PM.
Old 03-18-2011, 10:56 PM

Alright,

So I was just driving and went through a drive thru and while im sitting there waiting my lights in the car and headlights were going back and forth like flickering. My check gauges sign comes on then goes off.... put the jeep in neutral and it shuts off. Turn the key and starts right up. So now im thinkinmaybe battery. I haven't done anything yet but tomorrow I will go thru and try to eliminate some possibilities. Thanks to everyone for your input and help.
Old 03-18-2011, 11:01 PM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 with all of the noise and clatter

If it were your battery, the jeep would not restart after stalling. Idle air control motor is my best guess without looking at the vehicle.
Old 03-19-2011, 04:56 PM

Ok,

Went thru today and did some maintenance. Battery was drained and terminals were all covered and corroded. Replaced battery, cleaned terminals and cables thoroughly. Seems to have fixed the problems. Went thru and replaced air filter, oil and filter changed. Cleaning up under the hood now. Gonna do the cleaning the iac thing as well. Next step is serpentine belt. I wanna gain an inch or so in the rear so I can tow a boat without tires rubbing on bumpy roads... can I do this by tightening up the leafsprings? I threw regular size bfg all terrains on it. Thanks to u all for ur help.

Working on the jeep is actually not too bad
Old 03-19-2011, 05:33 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: Jeepless at the moment

Originally Posted by ts210021
Ok,

Went thru today and did some maintenance. Battery was drained and terminals were all covered and corroded. Replaced battery, cleaned terminals and cables thoroughly. Seems to have fixed the problems. Went thru and replaced air filter, oil and filter changed. Cleaning up under the hood now. Gonna do the cleaning the iac thing as well. Next step is serpentine belt. I wanna gain an inch or so in the rear so I can tow a boat without tires rubbing on bumpy roads... can I do this by tightening up the leafsprings? I threw regular size bfg all terrains on it. Thanks to u all for ur help.

Working on the jeep is actually not too bad

They arent like torsion bars, you can get longer shackles for the leafsprings. though