Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

2001 cherokee wont start!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2012, 10:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default 2001 cherokee wont start!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

hello, I just bought a 2001 Jeep Cherokee Sport with 110k miles. Decided to change all the fluids (oil, trans, radiator), aftewards car would not start! took the battery out had tested at autozone - is good, took starter out had tested at autozone - is good, ignition switch is good because when you turn the key to on dash lights come on and when you attempt to start lights turn off... When I turn the key to start it I hear one click then nothing and all the lights on the car go off like battery is dead even after i remove the key, the lights and electric come back on after i jiggle any or both of the wires connected to the battery. This is where im at now. Could it be a bad ground wire or positive wire, or starter relay fuse, or something else? What else can I do?
Old 03-07-2012, 11:02 AM

Default Same issue

I'm having the exact same problem....I tried jumping it two days ago. Started right up and drove it all day and the next day. I come to my car this morning and dome lights were on...I turn the key one click and dead. I tried jumping it and no luck. Had my battery tested and it was fine. I havent tested starter or alternator.
Old 03-07-2012, 11:06 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0L I6

Having the exact same problem the past few days after doing a tune up: spark plugs,wires,cap,rotor and air filter. Today though, my volt meter on the dash spiked to 19, check gauges light went on and I pulled over, tried to restart *dead*. Wiggled the red cable, started right up. I'm lost
Old 03-07-2012, 11:09 AM

i tried to have it jumped, the started cranked like 2 times and then nothing, autozone tested the battery and said it was fine....
Old 03-07-2012, 12:06 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0L

Ensure the terminals are nice and clean when you re-attach the battery. Bad battery connections cause a lot of these types of problems. If you have the correct tool, use it. If you don't, hit the male terminals on the battery and the mating female terminals on the cables with some sand paper to remove any surface contaminants that may have accumulated. I sand terminals EVERY time that I remove them.
Old 03-07-2012, 01:38 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by TheNerd
Ensure the terminals are nice and clean when you re-attach the battery. Bad battery connections cause a lot of these types of problems. If you have the correct tool, use it. If you don't, hit the male terminals on the battery and the mating female terminals on the cables with some sand paper to remove any surface contaminants that may have accumulated. I sand terminals EVERY time that I remove them.
x2, everything thats been mentioned sounds like a bad connection at the battery.
Old 03-07-2012, 01:42 PM

Engine: 4.0 L6

people will probably hate on me for using the "this is what I did so..." But anyways, my symptoms were pretty similar, ended up taking off the starter and lugging it to napa and also got my battery tested, then took off the Neutral safety switch (NSS) and cleaned it up. Still nothing. Was ready to buy a new starter just cause... Ended up being a $12 starter relay. After you check your connections look into that.
Old 03-07-2012, 01:44 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by rklettke
people will probably hate on me for using the "this is what I did so..." But anyways, my symptoms were pretty similar, ended up taking off the starter and lugging it to napa and also got my battery tested, then took off the Neutral safety switch (NSS) and cleaned it up. Still nothing. Was ready to buy a new starter just cause... Ended up being a $12 starter relay. After you check your connections look into that.
i won't hate ya for sayin that, but good info man
Old 03-07-2012, 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by RatchetMaster10
i won't hate ya for sayin that, but good info man
Thanks haha, about the cheapest thing you can try after the few free things.
Old 03-07-2012, 01:57 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by rklettke
Thanks haha, about the cheapest thing you can try after the few free things.
Exactly
Old 03-07-2012, 02:21 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0 H.O.

Had the same problem. Wiggled the positive battery cable and it started right up.
Old 03-07-2012, 02:58 PM

Year: 1997

Sounds like terminals, buy a terminal cleaning brush, they are like 5 bucks and well worth it! Saved my a$$ many times.
Old 03-07-2012, 09:06 PM

Default My problem fixed

So it was my battery connection. I took off the old terminals cut and cleaned the wires so they are lookin fresh and put new terminals on. Good as new. I also changed my plugs which was unrelated but needed to be done.

We're runnin!
Old 03-07-2012, 11:25 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0 H.O.

Originally Posted by CHRONIC_2001_XJ
So it was my battery connection. I took off the old terminals cut and cleaned the wires so they are lookin fresh and put new terminals on. Good as new. I also changed my plugs which was unrelated but needed to be done.

We're runnin!
Good to hear. It was the most bizarre thing when I drove my jeep to the store, came out, then all a sudden wouldn't start. Turned the cable an inch and it started up fine. Temperamental *****.
Old 03-07-2012, 11:33 PM

Originally Posted by BrofessorXJ
Good to hear. It was the most bizarre thing when I drove my jeep to the store, came out, then all a sudden wouldn't start. Turned the cable an inch and it started up fine. Temperamental *****.
you can turn your cables? I tighten them till I can't turn 'em anymore...

Quick Reply: 2001 cherokee wont start!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!