Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

2001 Cherokee random no start

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2011, 06:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default 2001 Cherokee random no start

This morning I stopped to get gas. Got in the Jeep and no start, no crank no nothing. All lights dead, no gauges no nothing, as if the battery was totally dead. It had started fine not 10 minutes earlier. I popped the hood so that I cuold make sure the battery cables were on tight etc. Started around the front of the Jeep and noticed the interior lights were back on. Checked the cables and they are tight. Got back in and it wouldnt start but the lights dimmed and went out as if dead again. It did this off and on for about 15-20 minutes. I pushed it to the side and figured I'd be walking home. Gave it once last try and it started right up. The volt gauge looked like it rose to about 9 or 10 volts then as it ran a bit it came up to normal. I can go out right now and it will start, voltage gauge normal etc.

I replaced the battery cables and ends about a month ago so I am realtively sure they are fine. Everything seems to be fastened tightly. Probably 3 or 4k miles ago I did change the CPS as it had failed on me. I have recently thrown a P1694 code which I am still trying to hunt down the reason for that. Not sure if it is related to the no start issue, just wanted to throw out as much detail as possible. Also, have recently had the ignition switch changed.
Old 08-10-2011, 07:00 AM

Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0L

Where did you get the CPS from. My new CPS from oreilly died on me a couple of months after I put it in while I was refueling. After the jeep cooled down i was able to drive it home. I had a warranty on it so I got a new one and then had to replace that one a month later. Got my money back and bought one from an online dealer and have had no problems with it since, knock on wood.
Old 08-10-2011, 07:20 AM

I got mine from Autozone. Had heard of the O'Reilly ones giving problems and chose not to go there. Unless I am mistaken though, the CPS would crank but no start. This was absolutely nothing as in no crank, no lights etc like the battery was totally dead. But, after a few seconds or so, all the lights would come back on.
Old 08-10-2011, 08:24 AM

Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0

How old is the battery itself? I've seen them start having issues with no warning at all, in exactly the same manner as yours did. Might be worth having it load tested for peace of mind.
Old 08-10-2011, 10:34 AM

Originally Posted by jwilson2598
How old is the battery itself? I've seen them start having issues with no warning at all, in exactly the same manner as yours did. Might be worth having it load tested for peace of mind.

Well, you just helped me solve the problem in an indirect way. I had changed the battery out and was thinking it couldnt have been more than 2 years ago, although in the Texas heat we've been having it wouldnt be a shock that it was going bad. Anyway, I was curious as to the age of it and just went out to check it. There are two negative cables, one runs down under the AC compressor to the block somewhere and a smaller, shorter one grounds to the chassis right there by the battery. That smaller negative cable had pulled out of the battery cable end and apparently was just intermittently touching the negative terminal. I guess the times when it wouldnt crank, no lights etc, it must not have been in contact at all. Amazing when you have some issue and it turns out to be something minor. I guess you have to appreciate those times because if your luck is like mine, it's usually something bigger.
Old 08-11-2011, 12:16 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 1994
Engine: 4.0 HO

Just had that issue with mine turned out one of the positive leads wiggled loose from the connector. Lol so close to the same as your fix.
Old 08-11-2011, 08:14 AM

Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by AlanP1964
Well, you just helped me solve the problem in an indirect way. I had changed the battery out and was thinking it couldnt have been more than 2 years ago, although in the Texas heat we've been having it wouldnt be a shock that it was going bad. Anyway, I was curious as to the age of it and just went out to check it. There are two negative cables, one runs down under the AC compressor to the block somewhere and a smaller, shorter one grounds to the chassis right there by the battery. That smaller negative cable had pulled out of the battery cable end and apparently was just intermittently touching the negative terminal. I guess the times when it wouldnt crank, no lights etc, it must not have been in contact at all. Amazing when you have some issue and it turns out to be something minor. I guess you have to appreciate those times because if your luck is like mine, it's usually something bigger.
Wel, I'm glad you found it, even if it was inadvertantly