Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

2001 aw4 slip and jeep died in drive through

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2012, 02:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default 2001 aw4 slip and jeep died in drive through

Noob here sorry if the is in the wrong area but I would like some help with my 01' xj sport. Long story short on the jeep, I traded a 96' z71 that had way to big of a to do list for it. The guy said no a/c, no speedo, heater core maybe bad, the worst thing was the oil pan bolts were striped out. Well so far I just fixed the speedo and trans. pan bolts. a/c and heater core I can deal with later. Well my prob. is that I took it for its first real drive and while sitting in a drive through with wife and newborn temp was at 210 and they were taken forever so I put it in park well I started to knotice a slight miss or hesitation. Well we got the food and when I put it in Drive the jeep just died tryed to start it and it just turned over didn't start so I pushed it to a p-spot and tryed again so the familey and I went inside because its 105 today ate lunch and then tryed the jeep again well the batt. was not the greatest but after almost killing the batt. it fired up and we hauled ***** home while doing so I found the trans slips in reverse bad and under load it takes to long and slides into forward gears, but when driven easy it is fine except reverse. trans fluid I used is dextron vi. The guy before me mixed dextron with atf-4 just when ever trans fluid he could find. any info will help and sorry again if this is a long post and in the wrong area.
Old 07-03-2012, 03:13 PM
CF Veteran

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Year: My Jeep is a GMC

For the transmission try draining & refilling with Dex/Merc III. For the engine any codes?
Old 07-03-2012, 03:21 PM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by SnoManB
The guy before me mixed dextron with atf-4 just when ever trans fluid he could find.
Agreed with Turbo, drain and refill. I just haven't had good luck with the +4, sometimes it causes slipping. Others seem to like it just fine. May well depend on what sort of life the AW4 has lived in the past.
Old 07-03-2012, 03:31 PM

There is no codes and after I taped the new bolts for the pand I drained and did a trans. filter filled with dextron vi
Old 07-03-2012, 11:26 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0L 6Cyl, K&N, 62mm TB, Electric Fans, D Neon Injectors, Head gasket needing replaced.

Originally Posted by Turbo X_J
For the transmission try draining & refilling with Dex/Merc III. For the engine any codes?
Agree. Maybe NSS issue also.
Old 07-04-2012, 06:53 AM

So after I got the xj back home I had the hood open for like a hour or so, the wife needed something for the store so I went out to the jeep and she fired right up and made it to the store and back just fine except for the trans when backing up, still acting up. So my best guess is a rebuild but im stumped on the engine stalling out.
Old 07-04-2012, 08:09 AM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Year: 1990

Originally Posted by SnoManB
So after I got the xj back home I had the hood open for like a hour or so, the wife needed something for the store so I went out to the jeep and she fired right up and made it to the store and back just fine except for the trans when backing up, still acting up. So my best guess is a rebuild but im stumped on the engine stalling out.
So just so i understand....it slips hard in reverse or when under hard accel, like it runs out the gears to ~6k rpm or something? If so its just slipping and sounds like the tranny is losing life but if its a hit and miss thing i x3 the idea for dex3
Old 07-04-2012, 08:14 AM

when I back out the driveway ill put it in reverse and when trying to back up is shakes backing up like its sliping. under hard acc. rpm go up jeep slowly makes its way into the next gear. So Im running dex vi so you guys are saying run dex.3 ill have to get some.