Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

2001 AW-4 transmission filter help

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2010, 04:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Default 2001 AW-4 transmission filter help

Hey guys,
I have been a lurker on here awhile. A few weeks ago I finally got my first Cherokee it is a 2001 limited and I really like it. The guy I bought it from was the only owner and he took very good care of it. I am in the process of researching what I need to do to renew all the fluids. Since it is due. I asked the PO about the transmission filter and here was his response.

As for the tranny filter the Aisin-Warner AW-4 tranny does not have a typical replaceable filter in it like most trannys do, again Jeep claims the only time you replace the "filter" which is actually just a screen, is during an overhaul. Can do searches to find that info out. I thought it was odd too!! But that's the way they built that tranny, you just flush and refill about three times. I don't think you'll ever get out all the fluid from the torque converter, but I've done the tranny fluid 3 times in that and have really tried my best to flush every bit of the old fluids out. The last time it was done was probably around 40k miles ago. Wouldn't hurt to do it again since it's so easy to do.

So from reading my Haynes manual and doing more searches it sounds like there is in fact a filter in there that should be changed as part of your regular maintenaence. Can anyone confirm this or was the PO of my Cherokee on the right track? I know my 98 Honda accord I had before did not have serviceable filter. So it does not sound way off.
Thanks
Old 04-22-2010, 05:14 PM
CF Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: 97
Engine: 4.0

there is just a screen type filter that doesnt really need to be replaced
Old 04-22-2010, 07:23 PM

OK so any thoughts on if I should replace the filter. Since the PO did not do it and the Jeep has almost 156,000 on the clock.
Old 04-22-2010, 09:06 PM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0L HO

Replaced the filter on our '98 XJ, its easy to do once the pan is off. 4 bolts, IIRC. Doesn't look like "just a screen" to me and as I've posted before, I sleep better knowing I changed the filter along with fresh tranny fluid.
Old 04-22-2010, 09:16 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by djb383
Replaced the filter on our '98 XJ, its easy to do once the pan is off. 4 bolts, IIRC. Doesn't look like "just a screen" to me and as I've posted before, I sleep better knowing I changed the filter along with fresh tranny fluid.
get one and cut it open, you'll see.
Old 04-22-2010, 09:30 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by RoyalXJ
get one and cut it open, you'll see.
I did get one.........a new one....... and installed it, because it's easy to do, once the pan is off. I don't cut used engine oil filters open either.......just replace them with new. If it is "just a screen", "that doesn't need to be changed", why did the factory design it to be easily changed. Like I said, 4 bolts and the old filter is out and the new filter is in.....duh. But hey, whatever floats your boat.
Old 04-22-2010, 10:01 PM
CF Veteran

a flush will clean the filter screen along with all the internals.

I did get one.........a new one....... and installed it, because it's easy to do, once the pan is off. I don't cut used engine oil filters open either.......just replace them with new. If it is "just a screen", "that doesn't need to be changed", why did the factory design it to be easily changed. Like I said, 4 bolts and the old filter is out and the new filter is in.....duh. But hey, whatever floats your boat.

wanna start another argument? go wheel your stocker.
Old 04-22-2010, 11:36 PM

HUmm several posts I read said to avoid transmission flushes. I guess I'll just drain the pan, drop the pan, replace the filter and fill her back up. Then drain and fill a few more times.
Old 04-23-2010, 05:09 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by ariff
HUmm several posts I read said to avoid transmission flushes. I guess I'll just drain the pan, drop the pan, replace the filter and fill her back up. Then drain and fill a few more times.
avoid a flush if you have over 200k or if your fluid is still cherry red
Old 04-23-2010, 07:54 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by ariff
Separating the dip stick tube gave us trouble so we cut the tube below the joint and spliced it with 1/2" rubber fuel line. It'll be easy from now on to drop the pan for a filter change.
Attached Images   
Old 04-24-2010, 03:27 AM
::Regional Moderator::

Engine: I6

Separating the dip stick tube gave us trouble so we cut the tube below the joint and spliced it with 1/2" rubber fuel line. It'll be easy from now on to drop the pan for a filter change.
Old 04-24-2010, 05:36 AM

Year: 1995

That's a good idea. I wasn't able to get mine separated when I did my filter change, so I had to try and get the bolt that holds it to the firewall out, and boy was that a snot of a bolt to get to.
Old 04-24-2010, 08:21 AM
CF Veteran

I bet it was indeed.
Old 04-25-2010, 08:20 PM

Year: 1999

i had to cut my line and patch it with some rubber hose and hose clamps too. i had no problem unbolting the little bracket that holds the dipstick tube to the wall but even after i had it off i couldnt drop down the tranny cover... but hey now i have new tranny filter+fluid and new differential fluids
Old 04-25-2010, 09:56 PM

Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0 I6

I did a drop pan service on mine when I bought it. I bought it with 67,000 miles and the fluid was darker colored, but there was no crud and no metal shavings in it. The filter is simple to replace, and you may as well do it if you drop the pan. It's all about preference with this service. Some prefer to drain the pan (My '00 actually has a trans pan plug) and some prefer to drop the pan and replace the filter too. I would see what your fluid looks like before you do it. Flushes are not recommended for high mileage vehicles, per the local trans shop in my area. I'm not an expert on transmissions at all, but this is just what I did.

Quick Reply: 2001 AW-4 transmission filter help