Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

2000 XJ sport-weak start/ good battery? need help!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2010, 10:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2000 sport
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 I6
Default 2000 XJ sport-weak start/ good battery? need help!!

Hi guys, I signed up because I searched but couldnt seem to find my exact problem, so maybe you can help.

2000 XJ sport 4.0 96k.

I noticed last week when Id start it, the battery seemed a bit weak, but it started no problem. The other day, it turned very weak and slow, and started but stalled, then wouldnt start again.

I jumped it and it instantly started, and idled fine. I got it home, left it running for about 5-10 mins, shut it off, started right back up.

I assumed it was the battery or alt, so the next day I brought it to Advance auto parts for a diagnostic.
Battery/alt/starter/ possible draws tested as all good....
Hmmm?

So today I go to work, and same thing, very weak crank, but it starts, and gets me to work. I shut it off, starts again, but now, wont idle by itself, but will stay running when I give it gas.

I kept it revving at 1500 for 5 mins or so, drove it around the block, and it idled on its own again, and I got her home.

I put the battery on a trickle charger tonight, to see what happens in the am, but my ?'s are:

could auto parts store diagnostic be wrong?
What else could it be?
Anyone had the same prob?

I will buy a new battery this week regardless, but wanted some input before I do.

Also, unrelated....my left turn signal flashes 2x as fast as my right, and will just stay on solid if I leave it on for a long light.
And one more thing....
I cant shut my headlights off unless the vehicle is on or the ignition is at least turned to acc.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance!!!
Old 04-20-2010, 11:11 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0 HO

im not too sure about the idle/start issue but for the headlights not shutting off, mine does it also but if you notice after a full minute or so they shut off automatically, at least mine do.
Old 04-21-2010, 12:05 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0 Liter L6

First guess would be that the battery may be weak and you are noticing it during cold starts. Next thought would be a short or something drawing it down while the ignition is off. The difference of the lights flashing faster on the left would probably be due to a bulb being burnt out, or possibly a bad ground or short in the wiring. Hope that helps you out
Old 04-21-2010, 01:35 AM

Year: 1999

It could be a bad ground to the battery. For your turn signals, it could either be the actual switch that you use to turn them on(multipurpose switch) or there's a combination flasher underneath the dash that goes bad sometimes, its a couple bucks and easy to replace. Here ya go...

The combination flasher is located in a wire harness connector which is secured to the diagnostics splice block bracket outboard of the steering column opening underneath the instrument panel.

1) Disconnect the battery negative cable.
2) Remove the knee blocker from the instrument panel.
3) Reach through the outboard side of the steering column opening to access and disengage the combination flasher wire harness connector retainer from the instrument panel diagnostics mounting bracket.
4) Pull the combination flasher into the instrument panel steering column opening far enough to access the wire harness connector.
5) Remove the combination flasher from the wire harness connector.
Old 04-21-2010, 06:47 AM

Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0

replace the battery and a bulb and you should be good to go.
Old 04-23-2010, 08:59 PM

Year: 2000 sport

Hey guys, thx for the replies...I charged the battery with a trickle charger, and it was good as new.
For 2 days.
This am the battery was TOTALLY dead. Dead silence, no crank no ticks, nothing.

So, I brought it to wal mart to try to exchange it, although I bought the vehicle with it in it already, it was still within the 3 year replacement period.

They hooked it up to their little tester machine and said 'oh this battery is good, check your electrical system'
Long story short, I was gonna buy a new battery, when the guy realized this, he says...if I wanted to wait 30 minutes, they would test it on the big machine in the garage....
WTF? Y dont u do that to begin with.
30 mins later I came back and sure enough, the battery failed their 'stress test' and had what he called a bad cell.
So I got a new battery for free, and problem solved.
So far.
Well see for sure in a few days I guess.
Thanks again.
Old 04-23-2010, 09:06 PM

Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0

From my experience, yes a bad battery. I also like how these parts stores always try to say it isn't the battery. Autozone did three separate tests on battery before they said it was bad three hours later. The battery was only 6 months old when it died. They just don't want to replace it under warranty.