Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

2000 XJ low brake pressure / no brakes

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2015, 01:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1991
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L I6
Default 2000 XJ low brake pressure / no brakes

Hey everyone, I have a treat for you today.

My 2000 XJ sport decided that this morning it was going to ruin my good sunday. Heres how.

Started the car, was running fine, went inside to get ready. I come outside hop in start pulling out of my driveway and come to press the brake pedal it shoots down to the floor. Stopping the car, but after very long negotiation with my tires. SO, I pull back into the driveway and take off the front driver side wheel. I did this because I was hearing a loud air rushing sound coming from that side as i depressed the brake. It no longer makes this sound. So I check the caliper everything seems in order.. but the rotor does not spin forward, it locks up. (The car is in park). So I throw the wheel back on to drive the car and access further where the problem might be. The car wont start. The battery is at just above 9v and to start the car I crank it and give it gas... it fires up. The alternator charges the battery to 14 as long as Im giving it gas. As soon as i release, RPMs divebomb to 0 and car stalls out.

Any advice as to where to start is appreciated.

Side note: I changed the front brake pads in september, and the rear pads in june.

This is the first brake problem i've ever had with this car. The calipers are original 2000 calipers, as well as the drums in the back. All hoses are original.

Also: I AM NOT LOSING BRAKE FLUID. ( to my knowledge).
Old 01-04-2015, 07:01 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by GooseJeep
Also: I AM NOT LOSING BRAKE FLUID. ( to my knowledge).

It could be ending up in your brake booster......................This will eventually cause your booster diaphragm to fail (and cause an air-whooshing sound under the dash)

Also, if your booster has failed, you will have a HUGE vacuum leak, and may cause the engine not to idle................
Old 01-05-2015, 01:31 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 Liter L6

x2 on the brake booster like Firehawk said. That sounds like the biggest part of the problem. If the brake caliper is sticking, that is a separate problem, and could be the caliper itself along with the booster.