Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

2000 XJ Issues HELP PLEASE!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2010, 05:45 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2000 Sport
Model: Cherokee
Engine: I6 4.0
Default 2000 XJ Issues HELP PLEASE!!

Alright the story is explained in the video, but basically when the engine is warm it doesnt like to idle smoothly on the next restart like if i were to go in the store and come and a start it to leave that is when the problem starts.

VIDEO

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=http:...?v=qSALPFhthSE

Symptoms

-Heats up to about 225 when I turn it off from the running temperature of 210
-Next restart idle like crap when still warm have tried it while cooled off yet
Old 11-04-2010, 05:48 PM
CF Veteran

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Year: 1989 xj sport 2dr
Engine: 12 hole bosch Injectors

you temp will always go up when you shut it off because the water stoped circulating when was the last time you tuned it up
Old 11-04-2010, 05:50 PM
CF Veteran

open the hood a shoot a video of the motor check to see if any spark plug wires are off look for broken vacuum line
Old 11-04-2010, 05:53 PM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by freegdr
you temp will always go up when you shut it off because the water stoped circulating when was the last time you tuned it up
ummmm i basically have been doing it parts at a time.

-new plugs
-Seafoamed 2 times in the past year
-Gum Out All in 1 treatment
-Also idk if you know but the 2000 xj's have no distributor so i have a coil pack and timing is self adjusting

advise me on what there is to tune up
Old 11-04-2010, 05:57 PM
CF Veteran

spark plugs and wires would be a tune up
Old 11-04-2010, 06:15 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0L

There are a bunch of things that could cause something like this, sensors and whatnot. Do you have a check engine light on? Do you know if the check engine light works (should light up during cranking the vehicle to start)?

I've heard that the 4.0L motor made from '99 up can have a problem with what is referred to as "heat soak". The redesigned intake manifold allows excessive heat from the exhaust to heat up the injectors too much. I don't have any personal experience with this but it might be something to look into- I think some people have made heat shields for the injectors or wrap them with something to keep them cooler.

Could have a faulty coil pack, but that should cause a CEL. If it's caused by heat then you could buy a can of "cold" spray (at Radio Shack), sometimes called freeze spray, and when you experience the problem spray each of the coil packs to cool them down and then see if the Jeep runs right. If it does you have a defective coil pack- replace it.
Old 11-04-2010, 06:22 PM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by freegdr
spark plugs and wires would be a tune up
sounds good lol umm my ecu scanner said i was having missfires on cylinder 1. Also using the spark plugs that people say are the worst for jeep bosch +4 platinum i think they are

Normal idle after cooled down
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=http:...?v=ZZff9cZR5l0
Old 11-04-2010, 06:24 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Cherockee
There are a bunch of things that could cause something like this, sensors and whatnot. Do you have a check engine light on? Do you know if the check engine light works (should light up during cranking the vehicle to start)?

I've heard that the 4.0L motor made from '99 up can have a problem with what is referred to as "heat soak". The redesigned intake manifold allows excessive heat from the exhaust to heat up the injectors too much. I don't have any personal experience with this but it might be something to look into- I think some people have made heat shields for the injectors or wrap them with something to keep them cooler.

Could have a faulty coil pack, but that should cause a CEL. If it's caused by heat then you could buy a can of "cold" spray (at Radio Shack), sometimes called freeze spray, and when you experience the problem spray each of the coil packs to cool them down and then see if the Jeep runs right. If it does you have a defective coil pack- replace it.
Old 11-04-2010, 06:26 PM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by Cherockee

yeah the check enging light works, this is the first time it has happened to me i have been driving the vehicle for 2 years and my grandpa bought it new in 2000 hmmmm ill get one from the junk yard if i replace it ummmm how can i check miles on a car at a junk yard ?
Old 11-04-2010, 06:52 PM

Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0L I6

X2 on the heat soak. I have a 2000 Sport and I know this quirk well. Search for "heat soak" and you'll find a TSB from Chrysler about how to fix it. I haven't had any more issues since I wrapped my injectors with spark plug wire insulators (a set of silver heat resistant tubes you can get at Advance Auto). I cut up the insulating material, wrapped it around my injectors, and held it in place with metal zip ties. I also got rid of the aluminum and fiberglass shield thing on top of the manifold. It's supposed to keep leaves and stuff from building up on top of your manifold and catching fire, but I found that since I removed it I have better ventilation around the injectors and less heat soak issues. (I now always look to make sure I don't have any leaf debris on the manifold when I pop the hood!). I'm sure you'll read about how installing hood vents will keep your temp down too, but I haven't needed to go to that level. If you do find you are sputtering and don't want to throw a CEL, I just turn off the Jeep and pop the hood. In 3-5 minutes it'll cool down enough and you'll be good to go. Good luck!
Old 11-04-2010, 06:58 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

well you should be using champion coppers as that is factory and a misfire could be a mistimed injector, mistimed spark, or blow cylinder...and the guy who mentioned heat soak that is a problem with after 99's but i think it is only the middle injector thats affected not sure...but i would look up test and run them on your cam position sensor (on top of where the distributor cap would go) and if your feeling it necessary run a test on the crank position sensor on the back of the block in the bellhousing...and there should be a test for the injectors and the coil pack...
Old 11-04-2010, 07:18 PM

Year: 2000

Originally Posted by mcguyver_xj
the guy who mentioned heat soak that is a problem with after 99's but i think it is only the middle injector thats affected not sure
Thanks, McGuyver, Good point. The #3 injector is most affected, and the cylinder 3 misfire will be the most common CEL from the heat soak. I started by wrapping the #3 injector because that was where my first CEL indicated a problem, but I ended up doing them all because I got cylinder #1 misfire and then multiple misfires. Since wrapping all 6 injectors about a year ago, Jeepy's been happy.
Old 11-04-2010, 08:14 PM
Seasoned Member

Last edited by bigboy813; 11-04-2010 at 08:26 PM.
Old 11-04-2010, 08:20 PM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by lfhoward
Thanks, McGuyver, Good point. The #3 injector is most affected, and the cylinder 3 misfire will be the most common CEL from the heat soak. I started by wrapping the #3 injector because that was where my first CEL indicated a problem, but I ended up doing them all because I got cylinder #1 misfire and then multiple misfires. Since wrapping all 6 injectors about a year ago, Jeepy's been happy.
I am just gonna do that becasue that would narrow down the problem most likely
Old 11-04-2010, 08:36 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1998

I'm not a mechanic nor do I know much about these issues, but when you seafoamed it did you hydro-lock it. If you did maybe you bent one of your connecting rods. Like i said not very good at mechanics, just a statement. (If I am wrong about anything please correct me)

Quick Reply: 2000 XJ Issues HELP PLEASE!!