Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

2000 xj electrical gremlin

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2015, 02:15 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default 2000 xj electrical gremlin

What a shocker. An xj with an electrical problem. So, I just put the 2000 xj back on the road after sitting for the summer. It had a windshield leak and the ds carpet was a bit wet. Ive fixed the leak. The problem Im having is when I start the car most of the time, the power windows. front wipers, and radio are dead. Just the radio power, not the memory wire as the clock stays fine. I can mess with the switches and stuff all I want and they wont work. But, as soon as I turn something else on that has a fairly large draw, lights, heater, power mirrors, it all starts working again. I dont know why its just those systems that fail. They dont share a fuse. Sounds like a ground issue? I redid the engine grounds around 2 years ago when I first got it. When its working I can shut the car down and restart and it will be dead again, sometimes. Other times it works from the get go. I think it affects the keyless entry too as my remote was non responsive the other day and then worked after I opened the door and shut it. Any ideas, other grounds besides the major engine ones to check? Once working the systems dont crap out until the engine is shut down and key removed.