Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

2000 Jeep Cherokee Radio intermittently looses power??

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2020, 07:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0
Default 2000 Jeep Cherokee Radio intermittently looses power??

I have been battling this problem for nearly a year now. My Jeep has a factory radio AM/FM Cassette, for example if I am driving at night the lights on the radio buttons will start the go dim then bright and dim again, then eventually the radio starts cutting out on and off on and off as well as the clock. Also if I turn the Jeep off and back on it temporarily fixes the problem until about 5 minutes later. And then sometimes the radio will work fine for a few weeks and then start acting up again. The 2000 I had right before this Jeep also did the exact same thing. Does any body have any advice?

thanks
Jim
Old 01-07-2020, 11:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0 L 6-cylinder
Default 2000 Jeep Cherokee Radio intermittently looses power??

Hi Jim: I am having the same issue and more, it started out with the radio and now the blinkers and speakers, I read through all the Jeep Forums with these issues on many different year Jeeps, and I have come to the conclusion that (mind you this has only happened when it's cold out to my car, you and I have the same Jeep a 2000 Cherokee) that I need to replace the flasher and 4 way flasher relay under the steering column, as well I need to double check all my fuses, and clean out the dust and check wires as long as I have dropped the dash under steering column, also it could be the odometer trip button acting up and while I am under the dash I may as well spray that with air if I can reach it and some wd40 if I can get to it. I have been resolving the issue by hitting the front of the radio when it does that and kicking my speakers. As for the blinkers that went haywire tonight that is concerning, not cool so I am going to buy the advised parts and start replacing them, it can't hurt as the car is turning 20 this July. Oh and this is the dumbest thing, we may have to replace the thing our key goes into, spray the inside of that with air and some wd40 and make sure the key is not pushed in to far and see if your radio works. What ever it is I am determined to fix it. I pasted the link to that thread.
https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f2/hel...-18911/index4/