Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

2000 Jeep Cherokee limited Check engine light on

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2015, 07:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default 2000 Jeep Cherokee limited Check engine light on

Hi all first of all I am both new to jeeps and to this forum, so I apologize if I should've added this to a thread instead of created a new one. I just purchased a 2000 Jeep Cherokee limited with 58,800 original miles. Passed both MD and PA inspection recently. Had all new plugs and wires installed, check engine light came on a couple hours after I bought it. The seller drove if from Glen Rock, PA to State College for me so I'm wondering if it could be an electrical issue. I don't notice any strange sounds when it idles. Also the low beams don't seem to be working but the high beams are fine. I did see in another thread that someone seemed to have the opposite problem, but I'm unsure of exactly how to diagnose whether it's the bulbs or the switch. I have a receipt from when the own had an inspection done, and most major things were checked. Also I read that a loose gas cap can cause the light to go on so I checked that. If anyone has any idea what minor things could cause the light to go on or what major things could that I might not notice that could cause the light to go on might be. Id really appreciate it. Planning on taking the car to get looked at monday, but I'd like to see if I could identify the problem on my own. Thanks!
Old 04-17-2015, 08:20 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Get the code read. You can get lots of help here but not without knowing the obd2 code. Autozone will do it free
Old 04-17-2015, 08:21 AM
CF Veteran

Received 82 Likes on 67 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by clmichael92
Hi all first of all I am both new to jeeps and to this forum, so I apologize if I should've added this to a thread instead of created a new one. I just purchased a 2000 Jeep Cherokee limited with 58,800 original miles. Passed both MD and PA inspection recently. Had all new plugs and wires installed, check engine light came on a couple hours after I bought it. The seller drove if from Glen Rock, PA to State College for me so I'm wondering if it could be an electrical issue. I don't notice any strange sounds when it idles. Also the low beams don't seem to be working but the high beams are fine. I did see in another thread that someone seemed to have the opposite problem, but I'm unsure of exactly how to diagnose whether it's the bulbs or the switch. I have a receipt from when the own had an inspection done, and most major things were checked. Also I read that a loose gas cap can cause the light to go on so I checked that. If anyone has any idea what minor things could cause the light to go on or what major things could that I might not notice that could cause the light to go on might be. Id really appreciate it. Planning on taking the car to get looked at monday, but I'd like to see if I could identify the problem on my own. Thanks!

If you have an auto parts store near you like O'Reilly, Advance, or Autozone, they can use their code reader (free) and find out what Diagnostic Trouble Code(s) has triggered the Check Engine light.

Get the code numbers and post them here so someone can help you with the troubleshooting.
Old 04-17-2015, 08:35 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 2000

Yeah, knowing what the code is will get you pointed in the right direction. Get the codes pulled (for free) from Autozone or somewhere if there's one close by and post the code number here. Most places will also give you a printout of what the code means for your vehicle also.
Old 04-20-2015, 07:58 AM

Got the code it's a misfire on cylinder 3. I've read a lot about this particular misfire and a recall of a piece of insulation by the cylinder head but I didn't wanna mess with anything. The guy at advance told me to take it to someone ASAP because the sellar told me he put new plugs and wires in and that if the plug is already worn it could be a more serious problem. Now again I'm not too familiar with engines but I'll take whatever info I can get

Last edited by clmichael92; 04-20-2015 at 08:12 AM.
Old 04-20-2015, 10:29 AM

what was the exact code number?
Old 04-20-2015, 10:51 AM

The code reader didn't say I think it was a cheap one for people you don't know much about cars. It's just said misfire on cylinder 3 detected. I'm having a shop do more diagnostics to find out exactly
Old 04-20-2015, 11:34 AM

Originally Posted by clmichael92
The code reader didn't say I think it was a cheap one for people you don't know much about cars. It's just said misfire on cylinder 3 detected. I'm having a shop do more diagnostics to find out exactly
Before you pay a shop I'd take it to an autozone or oreillys that has a code reader that will dsiplay what the code is. You can find out a lot just by knowing what the code itself is.