Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

2000 Cherokee no dash/running lights

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2014, 06:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default 2000 Cherokee no dash/running lights

Hey everyone. I just got my first Cherokee a few days ago after wanting one since I was a kid, a nice black 2000 Cherokee Sport. I tried to install a new radio, and when I had everything all hooked up and turned on the radio worked but I now have no dash or running lights.

I've already checked every fuse, inside and under the hood. None of them are blown and I even changed one inside just to be sure, the #6 I think. I took out the new stereo and put the old one back, and still no lights. I've been trying to find an answer to this everywhere and what solutions I've usually seen are to replace the fuses or headlight switch. Could installing the radio have caused the headlight switch to blow, or could it be a relay somewhere?

Before I tried installing the radio the check engine light came on also. I brought it to the dealer today since I've had it only for a few days and they couldn't even get a code to pull up on their machine, or their mechanic's. Could this be a related issue?

Thanks in advance for any help.
Old 03-29-2014, 06:38 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0 Straight Six

I had a 91 cherokee so the info might be different. But I wired the headunit wrong and left 2 wires out of a loop, the "dash acc" and "power antennae" wires. For the 91 is blew a fuse. I never actually figured out how to fix it as I sold it and got a 99. I believe you are blowing a fuse, you just may not see it.

I think it was a 5 amp fuse in my 91
Old 03-29-2014, 06:54 PM

Yeah thats one of the things I keep reading, the #6 5 amp fuse blows. I checked it and it was fine and replaced it anyway and still no lights, even with the radio out.
Old 03-29-2014, 07:02 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0 Straight Six

Its because the fuse keeps blowing. I put 4 fuses in mine before I gave up and put in a set of leds that plug into the cigarette lighter.
Old 03-29-2014, 08:49 PM

Originally Posted by one_speed_heuer
Its because the fuse keeps blowing. I put 4 fuses in mine before I gave up and put in a set of leds that plug into the cigarette lighter.
But none of the fuses are blowing. I've checked every single one.
Old 03-29-2014, 09:47 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 2001
Engine: 4.slow

Does the speedo, overhead lights work? If not, take a second look at the fuse box under the hood. There's a fuse labeled "iod" right in the middle.
Old 03-29-2014, 10:15 PM

Originally Posted by XJGunny
Does the speedo, overhead lights work? If not, take a second look at the fuse box under the hood. There's a fuse labeled "iod" right in the middle.
Yes, all the gauges work fine. The overhead lights and door lights work fine. Is the "iod" fuse on the inside fuse box or the power center under the hood?
Old 03-30-2014, 12:31 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the iod (ignition off draw) fuse is in the PDC under the hood
Old 04-03-2014, 10:39 PM

Originally Posted by rompnXJ
the iod (ignition off draw) fuse is in the PDC under the hood
I checked all of the fuses under the hood twice, they're all fine. I brought it to a mechanic I know and after 2 days he gave up. He replaced the headlight switch and checked all the fuses. The only thing thats changed is now if you pull the plunger out to right before the first click the dash lights and right running lights come on.

I thought maybe the headlight switch they got from AutoZone might have been bad, so I went to NAPA and got one and installed it this morning, same thing. So its not the fuses or headlight switch. Waiting to hear back from a guy I was referred to who is supposedly very good with car electronics, but hes real popular and busy because he works pretty cheap. Might be a week before I can get the Jeep to him.
Old 04-17-2014, 09:59 PM

Just a quick update, everything is working again. Brought it to a shop next to the place where I bought it and they checked it out. Turns out that somehow a fuse was in the wrong spot. I believe the headlight switch was the original reason for it not working, but somewhere along the line either I or the first guy I brought it to must have taken out a fuse to check it and put it back in the wrong spot. Weeks of frustration for such a small thing.
Old 05-11-2014, 08:59 PM

Mjolnir613 that doesn't make any sense. Having the wrong fuse in the wrong slot, if you aren't blowing fuses in the first place, isnt going to make a difference.

It was something else. I'm glad your problem went away. I suppose it was because you tech inadvertantly solved it, or the problem is still there and intermittient--waiting to appear again. I hope it's the former and not the later.