Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

2000 4.0 timing (fresh rebuild)

Old 04-07-2013, 01:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default 2000 4.0 timing (fresh rebuild)

i just got my motor back from the machine shop. Everything is new internally and they put the long block together.

Its having trouble starting. I have got it to crank over a few times. It seemed to run ok. It was having trouble staying at a idle without dying out on me. But was only allowed to run it for a few seconds due to my PS pump being air locked. So its hard to say what other running issues are noticeable.

When i turn the key it will try to start. It never starts right up. Seems like when i release pressure on the key to stop trying to start it then it fires up. But barely Then i have to really feather the gas to get it doing once it starts. Once its running it seems to run smooth and fine with me holding the throttle at 2k rpm.

Im not sure it was at top dead center when i put the oil pump drive in. But it slid right down into the oil pump slot and the plug in at the top of the oil pump drive was facing the firewall.

I read that you need to re-establish cam positioning sensor relationship. Is that what you do with the toothpick and being at top dead center?
Im done some research and im having trouble figuring out this toothpick trick. Trying to get a better idea on that. i know how to set it at Top Dead Center though.
In my research i also saw something about having to get the PCM parameters changed after a new camshaft or rebuild. Requiring you to take it to the dealer.

Last edited by OcalaXJ; 04-07-2013 at 01:33 PM. Reason: more info
Old 04-07-2013, 03:30 PM

OIL PUMP DRIVE AND SENSOR - 4.0L (CMP = Camshaft Positioning Sensor)
If the CMP and oil pump drive are to be removed and installed, do not allow engine crankshaft or camshaft to rotate. CMP sensor relationship will be lost.

How do i reestablish the CMP sensor relationship? Sense the motor has a new camshaft along with everything else.

The thread im refering too below.

REMOVAL - 4.0L
The Camshaft Position Sensor (CMP) on the 4.0L 6–cylinder engine is bolted to the top of the oil pump drive shaft assembly (Fig. 12). The sensor and drive shaft assembly is located on the right side of the engine near the oil filter (Fig. 13). The rotational position of oil pump drive determines fuelsynchronization only. It does not determine ignition timing.
NOTE: Do not attempt to rotate the oil pump drive
to modify ignition timing.

OIL PUMP DRIVE AND SENSOR - 4.0L
If the CMP and oil pump drive are to be removed and installed, do not allow engine crankshaft or camshaft to rotate. CMP sensor relationship will be lost.

INSTALLATION
OIL PUMP DRIVE AND SENSOR - 4.0L
(1) Clean oil pump drive mounting hole area of engine block.
(2) Install new oil pump drive-to-engine block gasket.
(3) Temporarily install a toothpick or similar tool through access hole at side of oil pump drive housing. Align toothpick into mating hole on pulse ring (Fig. 14).
(4) Install oil pump drive into engine while aligning into slot on oil pump. Rotate oil pump drive back to its original position and install hold-down clamp and bolt. Finger tighten bolt. Do not do a final tightening of bolt at this time.
(5) If engine crankshaft or camshaft has been rotated, such as during engine tear-down, CMP sensor relationship must be reestablished. (a) Remove ignition coil rail assembly. Refer to Ignition Coil Removal/Installation. (b) Remove cylinder number 1 spark plug. (c) Hold a finger over the open spark plug hole. Rotate engine at vibration dampener bolt until compression (pressure) is felt. (d) Slowly continue to rotate engine. Do this until timing index mark on vibration damper pulley aligns with top dead center (TDC) mark (0 degree) on timing degree scale (Fig. 15). Always rotate engine in direction of normal rotation. Do not rotate engine backward to align timing marks. (e) Install oil pump drive into engine while aligning into slot on oil pump. If pump drive will not drop down flush to engine block, the oil pump slot is not aligned. Remove oil pump drive and align slot in oil pump to shaft at bottom of drive.
Install into engine. Rotate oil pump drive back to its original position and install hold-down clamp and bolt. Finger tighten bolt. Do not do a final tightening of bolt at this time. (f) Remove toothpick from housing.
(6) Install sensor to oil pump drive. After installation, the CMP sensor should face rear of engine 0°.
(7) Install 2 sensor mounting bolts and tighten to 2 N•m (15 in. lbs.) torque
(8) Connect electrical connector to CMP sensor.
(9) If removed, install spark plug and ignition coil rail. To verify correct rotational position of oil pump drive, the DRB scan tool must be used.
WARNING: WHEN PERFORMING THE FOLLOWING TEST, THE ENGINE WILL BE RUNNING. BE CAREFUL NOT TO STAND IN LINE WITH THE FAN
BLADES OR FAN BELT. DO NOT WEAR LOOSE CLOTHING.
(10) Connect DRB scan tool to data link connector. The data link connector is located in passenger compartment, below and to left of steering column.
(11) Gain access to SET SYNC screen on DRB.
(12) Follow directions on DRB screen and start engine. Bring to operating temperature (engine must be in “closed loop” mode).
(13) With engine running at idle speed, the words IN RANGE should appear on screen along with 0°. This indicates correct position of oil pump drive.
(14) If a plus (+) or a minus (-) is displayed next to degree number, and/or the degree displayed is not zero, loosen but do not remove hold-down clamp bolt. Rotate oil pump drive until IN RANGE appears on screen. Continue to rotate oil pump drive until achieving as close to 0° as possible. The degree scale on SET SYNC screen of DRB is referring to fuel synchronization only. It is not referring to ignition timing. Because of this, do not attempt to adjust ignition timing using this method. Rotating oil pump drive will have no effect on ignition timing. All ignition timing values are controlled by powertrain control module (PCM).
Old 04-07-2013, 03:37 PM
CF Veteran

Received 82 Likes on 67 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

Or, simply refer to your copy of the Factory Service Manual, Section 8D, for instructions on how to install a OPD and can sensor.
Old 06-07-2022, 10:02 AM

Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Default I live in ocala

Originally Posted by OcalaXJ
i just got my motor back from the machine shop. Everything is new internally and they put the long block together.

Its having trouble starting. I have got it to crank over a few times. It seemed to run ok. It was having trouble staying at a idle without dying out on me. But was only allowed to run it for a few seconds due to my PS pump being air locked. So its hard to say what other running issues are noticeable.

When i turn the key it will try to start. It never starts right up. Seems like when i release pressure on the key to stop trying to start it then it fires up. But barely Then i have to really feather the gas to get it doing once it starts. Once its running it seems to run smooth and fine with me holding the throttle at 2k rpm.

Im not sure it was at top dead center when i put the oil pump drive in. But it slid right down into the oil pump slot and the plug in at the top of the oil pump drive was facing the firewall.

I read that you need to re-establish cam positioning sensor relationship. Is that what you do with the toothpick and being at top dead center?
Im done some research and im having trouble figuring out this toothpick trick. Trying to get a better idea on that. i know how to set it at Top Dead Center though.
In my research i also saw something about having to get the PCM parameters changed after a new camshaft or rebuild. Requiring you to take it to the dealer.

Hey buddy, I live in Ocala to with same exact problem. Where did you get your fuel sync done. Contact me at supercrosslevi@gmail.com
Old 06-09-2022, 10:06 AM
CF Veteran

Received 296 Likes on 246 Posts
Year: 1997 (RHD)
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0 ltr

Digging up this 9 year old thread with a question for the OP will probably not be succesfull. Regardless (or despite) the fact that you are both from Ocala.
He hasn't logged in since 2018..