Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

2000 4.0 Engine swap

Old 10-05-2013, 06:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default 2000 4.0 Engine swap

Had a couple questions hoping someone here might be able to answer. I recently bought an early model 2000 XJ that has a cracked head. Previous owners drove it long enough to cause bearing damage as well, so I am looking at replacing the engine. My question is about the ignition system differences between the 97-99 vs 2000-2001 4.0L. I have a line on several 99 4.0 motors, but I don't know if you can just replace the distributor with the ignition system off the 2000. I am not worried about the cylinder head differences, pretty easy to fab up a bracket to hold the coil packs. But if I cannot buy the 99 engine, remove the distributor and replace it with the sensor set up out of the 2000, then I need to find a motor out of a 2000. Which leads me to my second question. With this engine needing a rebuild, is it possible to make a stroker out of it? I know all the parts and to build it are possible. What I am wondering is if it will confuse the computer to the point the engine will not perform as a stroker? I hope I have this posted correctly, any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Old 10-05-2013, 11:39 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0

It is my understanding that yes, you can use the earlier engine and swap over your ignition system.
Old 10-06-2013, 01:57 AM

if the actual damage from oil contamination isn't that bad i personally would just replace the head and crank.

look under your valve cover and if your rocker assembly looks good, then i would keep it. i don't know exactly what contaminated oil can do to an engine, because i got lucky when my head cracked and I repaired it immediately.

But I do know for a fact that oreilly auto and possibly other stores have brand new casted heads for the 2000 as well as crank/bearing rebuild kits. and while you have the head off also put in a new gasket and new lifters if you need them.

im just saying if you're gonna put in the effort for a total swap it might be simpler just to do a top/bottom rebuild than end up with electrical problems after the swap. If you can't find any definitive info on compatability stuff, i would recommend calling a jeep specialty shop and see if any of them have experience with that.
Old 10-06-2013, 07:27 AM

I just bought an 00 3 weeks ago and am at the very moment swapping it with a 97 ZJ engine, you will need to use the 00 intake but the exhaust manifold from the "new" engine. the distributor issue is simple, just unbolt it and snap the 00 dist thing in lol. you can use an 87 XJ 4.0l if you wanted, just swap everything over and youre fine.
Old 10-06-2013, 08:58 AM

I didn't think the intake/exhaust would be an issue, that's good to know. I would guess it has to do with the size of the exhaust ports? That makes the swap a little harder if I have to change the exhaust to match the older style one piece header. Reason I am leaning towards just doing a swap is money and time, I can pick up a good used 4.0 for under $700, complete. Figure I do the swap and have a running vehicle in a couple days, then I have an extra engine to play with if I want to build a stroker. But just to be sure can anyone verify that exhaust thing? I can't bolt the 00 two piece header up to the 99 cylinder head?