Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

2 Birds with 1 Stone - Routine Maintenance

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2012, 07:49 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 6 cyl
Default 2 Birds with 1 Stone - Routine Maintenance

Hey everyone. So I am just now realizing the effects of not changing all the fluids of a used vehicle once you buy it. I bought my '01 Jeep Cherokee with 93,700 miles on it, and have since then gotten to just over 100,000 . I've done two oil changes, replaced spark plugs, and other little things that have failed since I've owned it. Currently I'm getting a lot of misfires (replacing my ignition coil ASAP, should solve), but I wwas driving home recently, only going 35mph, and my 'check gauges' light came on. My coolant temp was getting REAL hot. So, I figured it's time to change the coolant. With this, however, I just want to change every fluid that's manageable in my driveway and get this sucker running like new.

Here are the things I am 100% sure or pretty confident I can drain, and refill. Tips on anything that causes problems or what brand to go with would still be appreciated.

-Oil + filter change
-Automatic transmission fluid change
-Coolant change
-Changing my air filter while I am at it
--Questions:
Should I replace my radiator while I am at it, or is that a waste?
Any recommended period of time to change the air filter?

---

Here are my bigger concerns.

1. Brake Fluid
I know that if you drain and add brake fluid, you need to bleed the whole braking system and lines and whatnot. I do NOT trust myself with this, but seeing as I installed my lift not too long ago, but then went to have a new brake hose installed, professionals have already bled the system. My questions for y'all are
1. How long should I wait to drain and refill the brake fluid?
2. Can I add brake fluid without f**king anything up?
3. How do I drain fluid " " if I have too much?

--
2. Power Steering Fluid
My owners manual doesn't really say anything much about draining the power steering fluid, but it mentions adding fluid if it gets low. Do I need to ever change the fluid? And if so, when? I'd like to go ahead and drain and refill if that's possible for me, or is this something a shop will have to do?
---
3. Differential Fluids
How do I drain and refill this? What fluid? REALLY clueless as to this, but have heard from friends it's easy.
---
4. Lubricating Grease Fittings
How often? And what in the world do I need tool-wise for this?

Thanks everyone for your help in advance. I really appreciate it!
Old 08-03-2012, 07:54 AM

Anybody? I need to do this sooner than later.
Old 08-03-2012, 08:30 AM
CF Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0 L

For diff fluid, you unbolt the diff cover (with a catch pan under it). Unbolt all the bolts but the top one and let the old fluid drain. When it's done unbolt the top bolt. Scrape off all the old rtv. Apply new rtv and snug down the bolts and let it dry. After like 15 min torque down the bolts and refill fluid through fill hole until it starts to come out of the fill hole and you're done.
Old 08-03-2012, 08:31 AM
CF Veteran

For grease fittings you need a grease gun.
Old 08-03-2012, 08:32 AM
CF Veteran

Probs don't need to change your radiator unless it's bad...
Old 08-03-2012, 08:37 AM
CF Veteran

If a shop just bled your brakes and they're working fine, then I wouldn't change the fluid. I know you want to change everything, but if it's not broke then don't fix it imo.
Old 08-03-2012, 08:37 AM
CF Veteran

Otherwise google it.
Old 08-03-2012, 08:38 AM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 99
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by luckyAD80
Hey everyone. So I am just now realizing the effects of not changing all the fluids of a used vehicle once you buy it. I bought my '01 Jeep Cherokee with 93,700 miles on it, and have since then gotten to just over 100,000 . I've done two oil changes, replaced spark plugs, and other little things that have failed since I've owned it. Currently I'm getting a lot of misfires (replacing my ignition coil ASAP, should solve), but I wwas driving home recently, only going 35mph, and my 'check gauges' light came on. My coolant temp was getting REAL hot. So, I figured it's time to change the coolant. With this, however, I just want to change every fluid that's manageable in my driveway and get this sucker running like new.

Here are the things I am 100% sure or pretty confident I can drain, and refill. Tips on anything that causes problems or what brand to go with would still be appreciated.

-Oil + filter change
-Automatic transmission fluid change
-Coolant change
-Changing my air filter while I am at it
--Questions:
Should I replace my radiator while I am at it, or is that a waste?
Any recommended period of time to change the air filter?
---

Here are my bigger concerns.

1. Brake Fluid
I know that if you drain and add brake fluid, you need to bleed the whole braking system and lines and whatnot. I do NOT trust myself with this, but seeing as I installed my lift not too long ago, but then went to have a new brake hose installed, professionals have already bled the system. My questions for y'all are
1. How long should I wait to drain and refill the brake fluid?
2. Can I add brake fluid without f**king anything up?
3. How do I drain fluid " " if I have too much?
--
2. Power Steering Fluid
My owners manual doesn't really say anything much about draining the power steering fluid, but it mentions adding fluid if it gets low. Do I need to ever change the fluid? And if so, when? I'd like to go ahead and drain and refill if that's possible for me, or is this something a shop will have to do?
---
3. Differential Fluids
How do I drain and refill this? What fluid? REALLY clueless as to this, but have heard from friends it's easy.
---
4. Lubricating Grease Fittings
How often? And what in the world do I need tool-wise for this?

Thanks everyone for your help in advance. I really appreciate it!
Don't replace radiator. Do a good flush instead.

Change filter when dirty. Or just blow t out w/ compressed air like I do.

Why you messin with break fluid? Unless breaks are acting weird (not working, pulling, etc.) just top your fluid off. Bleeding is real easy, btw. Just have someone pump the pedal several times, open bleeder valve on hub, close when fluid slows. Repeat. Top off fluid.

Easiest way to drain fluids is to suck out- turkey baster much

Check owners manual for proper diff fluids, but it's pretty straightforward: remove cover bolts, pry open, drain, inspect, clean gasket area, reapply rtv and fill to plug.

As for greaseable fittings, if you wheel it regularly, then doing more frequent (weekly) smaller applications. If it only sees pavement, then every oil change is usually sufficient. You'd need a gun and oil, that's all. Good luck.
Old 08-03-2012, 08:39 AM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 99

Originally Posted by Jeepxj1234
Otherwise google it.
Holy separate responses batman. Just use the quote option next time...
Old 08-03-2012, 08:42 AM
CF Veteran

Haha sorry I'm on my phone and was just going down his list of questions.
Old 08-03-2012, 08:46 AM
Seasoned Member

Year: 94

PS fluid you can't really drain, but you can use a squezze blub baster and suck the fluid out of the PS pump. Then refill with fresh fluid. Your only replacing part out the fluid when you do this.
Old 08-03-2012, 10:54 AM
Seasoned Member

Engine: 4.0L

Differential fluid is real easy, just like was posted above. You might want a rubber mallet though, because even after unbolting all of the bolts except the top one, chances are, your fluid isn't going to just pour out, if the old RTV is doing its job.

I didn't see transfer case fluid anywhere on your list. That's another easy one to do, and I would definitely go ahead and change it out. There's two screw-like things on the rear-axle side of the transfer case. The top one is the fill hole, and the bottom one, the drain hole. Make sure you take the top one out first, because if you drain it and then realize you can't get the fill hole open, you're kinda screwed.
Old 08-03-2012, 11:19 AM

For diff fluid, you unbolt the diff cover (with a catch pan under it). Unbolt all the bolts but the top one and let the old fluid drain. When it's done unbolt the top bolt. Scrape off all the old rtv. Apply new rtv and snug down the bolts and let it dry. After like 15 min torque down the bolts and refill fluid through fill hole until it starts to come out of the fill hole and you're done.
Rtv?
Old 08-03-2012, 11:19 AM

For grease fittings you need a grease gun.
How often should I do this?
Old 08-03-2012, 11:22 AM

Originally Posted by bzauche
Differential fluid is real easy, just like was posted above. You might want a rubber mallet though, because even after unbolting all of the bolts except the top one, chances are, your fluid isn't going to just pour out, if the old RTV is doing its job.

I didn't see transfer case fluid anywhere on your list. That's another easy one to do, and I would definitely go ahead and change it out. There's two screw-like things on the rear-axle side of the transfer case. The top one is the fill hole, and the bottom one, the drain hole. Make sure you take the top one out first, because if you drain it and then realize you can't get the fill hole open, you're kinda screwed.
Alright stupid mistake. I assumed transmission and transfer case ran together... so how do I do the transmission fluid drain and refill then?

Quick Reply: 2 Birds with 1 Stone - Routine Maintenance