Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

1st Time Jeep Owner, picked up a '99 XJ looking for advice

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2016, 09:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default 1st Time Jeep Owner, picked up a '99 XJ looking for advice

Hey All,

I picked up a 99 XJ few weeks ago, for 3K, with 200K miles on it. minimal rust. So far I'm enjoying it.

So far I put about a grand into it. New tires, replaced some of the door switches , re-keyd the lock cylinders to the ignition key, New hatch Structs , etc ... Minor stuff..

My next tackle is the door trim, It's old and faded and peeling.. I tried fixing the edges but it looks bad. I'm debating just pulling it off completely,

The front and rear bumpers are plastic and faded too.. I wanted to go aftermarket, I'm really new and on the aftermarket websites there are a slew of options and ebay. But not sure what's best for a novice owner. I would like to change the bumper myself, prefer not to cut anything if possible and use the existing mounting hardware. (I imagine most of the bumpers do)

I don't want to go crazy, maybe just add 2 lights on the bumper like some of you have. no winches or anything like that ;P

Any recommendations on bumpers front and rear?

Also, are these engines noisy?? I thought i may need a tune up. and put new plugs in it, new distributor cap / rotor , wires and air filter. Did I miss anything? It runs great now but it's a loud motor.

Nice to meet everyone!

Last edited by sfmadmax; 08-03-2016 at 09:47 AM.
Old 08-03-2016, 10:41 AM

Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0

You can paint the bumpers and trim
Old 08-03-2016, 10:55 AM

Originally Posted by The Ders
You can paint the bumpers and trim
I know, but i'm digging the rugged look w/ aftermarket hardware. And willing to do the work to get it there.
Old 08-03-2016, 11:04 AM

Year: 2001

Idk, the stock bumpers are pretty rugged
Old 08-03-2016, 11:13 AM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0L

Welcome!

Just pull the molding off the doors, I did and it looks 10x better without it
Old 08-03-2016, 11:34 AM
Old fart with a wrench

Received 723 Likes on 628 Posts
Year: 2000 XJ Sport & WJ Laredo
Model: Grand Cherokee (WJ)
Engine: 4.0L

YES....The motor is noisy. That's part of the mystique of the 4.0.
Old 08-03-2016, 01:11 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1999

Originally Posted by sfmadmax
I know, but i'm digging the rugged look w/ aftermarket hardware. And willing to do the work to get it there.
I hear you. I'm new to this myself (I don't own my Cherokee yet. Still hunting CL and the local auto auction.)

EDIT: Damn fine looking Jeep you got there!

There is a lot of great info on this board and on the interwebs. Go to YouTube and look at a few install videos for Cherokee bumpers. Most of the bumpers seem to install the same way - so then you just need to figure out what style of bumper you want:

(NOTE: I work for an aftermarket truck/suv accessory company, writing product descriptions and install articles for our website. Don't worry about the name, you haven't heard of us. BUT - I am constantly having to differentiate and explain the differences between similar products.)

Here are the options running through MY head for Bumpers:

Winch or Non-Winch
Built-in Recovery Points: Yes/No
Built-in Light openings: Yes/No
Stubby or Full Width
Wrap around sides of fender (requires trimming) or Not?
Tapered Edges?
Hitch Receiver?
Finish Options?

Am I missing anything, anyone?

Personally? I wanna learn to weld, and I'm digging JCR as a company, so I'm gonna go with their DIY bumper kit when I get my Cherokee - they send the pieces, you weld it together. There are videos online. They also sell the same bumper, pre-assembled for you.

(For Youtube, I keep coming back to the videos from BleepinJeep, and from PBR Roadhouse. They both do a pretty great job of explaining things, and they both have videos on the JCR DIY bumper.)

Good luck!
Mike

Last edited by MWMahoneyJr; 08-03-2016 at 01:15 PM. Reason: I forgot to compliment the OP on his fine automobile.
Old 08-03-2016, 02:08 PM

Year: 1996

The door trim just peels off. You'll need an adhesive remover for the residue, but it's not that bad. Yes, the engine is noisy. Almost diesel-ish at idle, especially over 200K. Pretty much any aftermarket bumper will bolt right up, as long as it's not labeled as "cut-n-fold" for the rear. Warrior makes a super clean front bumper with options for grill guard, attachment points, winch, or just bare. Reasonably priced, too. Check out Quadratec.com for a sample of available bumpers.
Old 08-03-2016, 03:21 PM

Thanks all for the recommendations!

First of all, I'm glad and somewhat calmer now, that you all mention the Straight 4.0 L is a noisy motor. I seriously that I didn't correctly install one of the replacement parts and it is rather diesel'ish in sound.

The second concern I had, which I never explained was that while in gear. (The jeep is an automatic) It makes a very soft almost metal on metal hum to it. My thoughts are that this is the driveshaft spinning. I never owned a car like this, so i'm expecting the noise to be normal. I did (for the hell-of-it) Grease up the front of the drive shaft. And grease came out of the fixture so I know it's all good. But the noise occurs when the car is in Neutral and rolling also, so i just sort of chalked it up to being a Jeep :P A friend of mine told me that these are noisy cars and people don't buy them for comfort. Which is true. :P

I really am liking it, coming into 3 weeks of ownership.

So onto the bumpers!

Thanks MWMahoneyJr and JeremyXJ

I will probably peel off the door drim and just go with that, it's a'lot easier and one less of a headache.

Regarding the bumpers I'll start checking out Quadratec.com and warrior...

Here are the options running through MY head for Bumpers:

Winch or Non-Winch
Built-in Recovery Points: Yes/No
Built-in Light openings: Yes/No
Stubby or Full Width
Wrap around sides of fender (requires trimming) or Not?
Tapered Edges?
Hitch Receiver?
Finish Options?

Well.... Here we go...

Non Winch, i don't have a need for it, i'm not going rock crawling, at least not now... :P
I think I want Full-Width with Wrap around fenders that don't require trimming (if possible)

I would definately want a front bumper that gives me the option of attaching accessories in the future, if so desired. I think that's really the deal breaker for me.

I'll be fine with a barren black front bumper as long as it has the attachment points for accessories down the road. Mainly Additional lights , or quite possibly a winch, (if i decide to replace the guts of this thing and turn it into a rock crawler)

I do dig this style...

Old 08-03-2016, 03:33 PM

Year: 1999

Go to the various vendor sites and start looking at bumpers. And don't forget that you may want to get the Unibody tie-in kit - it adds extra brackets to mount your new bumper more securely to the body. So you can actually use bumper as a recovery point. JCR has one: http://www.jcroffroad.com/product/XJ/XJUNF-PC.html

And check out the video at their site.