Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

1999 Xj, rear wiper motor

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2014, 06:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default 1999 Xj, rear wiper motor

I have looked around the internet and forum for a guide or some info on how to fix my rear wiper motor on my 99 sport. I cannot find anything! I found write ups for zj and wjs but nothing for an xj. It is a different motor, they are pretty expensive to replace so want to avoid that. I know it works it makes noise when i press the wiper button but the shaft doesnt spin so clearly its just seized. I cant figure our how to safely get it apart without destroying it. If anyone has had the same problem and found a solution id love to hear about it!

Last edited by Danzig; 06-01-2014 at 01:13 AM.
Old 06-01-2014, 05:56 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

On the rear if you just push the button doesn't it spray window cleaner on the glass? Geeze I have a 99 and I don't remember for sure, maybe its spray and wipe when the button is pushed.

Anyway if you don't have a Chilton's manual or one like it you do need one. But you will need to remove the inside panel that covers the rear hatch to get to the motor to check it out.
Old 06-01-2014, 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by Fred/N0AZZ
On the rear if you just push the button doesn't it spray window cleaner on the glass? Geeze I have a 99 and I don't remember for sure, maybe its spray and wipe when the button is pushed.

Anyway if you don't have a Chilton's manual or one like it you do need one. But you will need to remove the inside panel that covers the rear hatch to get to the motor to check it out.
I already removed the motor, and when i push the button it just makes a sound like the motor is on, but the shaft doesnt spin. I know its just corroded because thats what happens to all of them but i cant figure out how to open it up, i think i need to drill out the permanent rivets holding the motor casing on.
Old 06-01-2014, 02:35 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1998 Sport

It has been many, many years since I had to work on any of my rear wiper motors. But If i am not mistaken you are right about having to drill out the rivets. When you push the switch does it just make just a click like it is coming on or does it keep running and no movement of the shaft? If it keeps running without moving I would say that the gears are stripped you you may have to change the motor out. If so I would hit up your local jy and replace it.
Old 06-01-2014, 06:41 PM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Year: 1999

My BAD
Old 06-01-2014, 08:05 PM

Originally Posted by RTorrez1
It has been many, many years since I had to work on any of my rear wiper motors. But If i am not mistaken you are right about having to drill out the rivets. When you push the switch does it just make just a click like it is coming on or does it keep running and no movement of the shaft? If it keeps running without moving I would say that the gears are stripped you you may have to change the motor out. If so I would hit up your local jy and replace it.
I actually just drilled all the rivets out and it was really gunked up in there. It actually looked like the gears were not stripped and i think the shaft was just stuck, i took it out and cleaned it all and im going to put it on tomorrow and see how it works out. Ill update with my findings if it works. I also took pics because not one person on the vast internet has a single picture or description of how to fix the late model XJ rear wiper motor, i searched for hours.
Old 06-01-2014, 08:21 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1998 Sport

Yeah the pics are a good Idea. If you can you may want to post them in this thread. It may help someone in the future. I hope that it works.
Old 06-02-2014, 06:44 PM

Originally Posted by RTorrez1
Yeah the pics are a good Idea. If you can you may want to post them in this thread. It may help someone in the future. I hope that it works.
Re-installed it and its still not doing anything, the plastic gear inside must be worn down, i thought it looked fine but i guess it isn't. It's too bad they used these cheesy plastic gears or else it would actually be a good motor.