Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

1999 XJ 4.0L start fail after RMS replacement

Old 10-13-2016, 11:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default 1999 XJ 4.0L start fail after RMS replacement

Greetings:

Just replaced a rear mail seal and oil pump on a '99 XJ w/185k miles. Completed the job and the vehicle would not start. As i have previously done, I pulled the coil wire and spun the engine several rounds to prime the oil pump before I tried to start it. But it would not start. I've done 3 of these on Renix vehicles, no problems whatsoever. So I started searching the forums. Seems there are SEVERAL things that can cause one of the Chrysler Jeeps not to start. There is no key fob for this vehicle, so I got the build sheet and it did come with remote keyless, so I assumed it may be an anti theft thing. Tried to reset the drivers door lock as per instructions, no success. Checked the coil, there was fire to the coil. My fuel pressure gauge would not work, but there seemed to be plenty of pressure. I also pulled the ASD relay and tried to get it reset, no luck. Tried swapping that relay with the cooling fan relay, no luck. Finally I disconnected the battery again and apparently this reset whatever problem there was. Some of the more knowledgeable people on here may give an explanation as to why this happened, I suspect the ASD sensed low oil pressure when I first started spinning it and shut it down. Hope this helps someone, I read through other threads where folks were replacing CPS's, coils, distributors, fuel pumps and everything else trying to fix no start problems. This was my first experience with one of the later models, right now not a big fan. Maybe I will warm up to them.

Last edited by specauto; 10-13-2016 at 11:32 AM.
Old 10-15-2016, 04:11 AM
CF Veteran

Received 170 Likes on 158 Posts
Year: 1997
Model: Grand Cherokee (ZJ)
Engine: 4.0, new lifters valve job with new springs and exhaust valves, preload set with shims

Not sure but wouldn't pulling the coil wire and turning the engine over cause fuel to be dumped in the cylinders?