KL Cherokee Tech KL (14+)
2014 Cherokee Forum for all new KL and Cherokee Trailhawk discussion and tech information.

Wire Harness - How to get into the cabin

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2016, 11:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2016
Model: Cherokee
Default Wire Harness - How to get into the cabin

Hello Fellow Jeepsters,

So I bought myself a new 2016 Cherokee Trail Hawk. I like it. Many moons ago, I had a 1993 Grand Cherokee. I def like this Trail Hawk better. Anyway, I got myself a 20" LED trail light for the front, over the bumper. Mounted it no problem. The problem is the grommet for the firewall pass through is NO WAY accessible. Brake actuator in the way.

Has anyone here done this project before on THIS vehicle? I was thinking to open up the panels by the driver door on the floor and by the hood release to follow the door wires and trace their path into the engine cavity.

Thoughts? I rather as the question here before I waste my time AND possibly breaking something by trying it first.

Thanks Everyone.
Panzer Bill
Old 02-25-2018, 08:21 PM

Model: Cherokee(KL)
Engine: V6

Did you have any luck on this? I'm needing to pass a few wires thru my KL firewall soon for warning lights and power.
Old 12-01-2018, 09:21 AM

Model: Cherokee (KL)

There is a nipple above the factory wiring harness just left of the brake, you supposed to cut it off in the engine bay but poor placement so you can't reach it. So you have to stick a sharpened coat hanger through it on the inside. I messed up and tried a screwdriver which would not push through then decided on a small steak knife do not do this the nipple is like 1/2" above the wiring harnesses so you would think its away from wires.. not. I cut 6 or 7 wires which meant a new wiring harness on a car I had 3 days so 3 months later and $2400 that's a big mistake.

The jeep tech said he uses a sharpened coat hanger. Still blows my mind that the nipple is above the wiring but I still cut it.
Old 12-01-2018, 10:44 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Engine: 3.2L

I wanted to run wires in, ran in to the same issue as you, so I just went with a wireless controller. Also you can program your garage door buttons on the visor (If equipped) to turn wireless lights on/off
Old 12-01-2018, 10:46 AM

Engine: V6

I actually did utilize the nipple. Ran one 2ga power for the Whelen PCC8R I bought to lr quarter, as well as speaker wire for the siren, and 2 extra conductors for future. Tight, but worked great. I actually want to append this, in the rear of the trail Hawks, there is a grommet on the LR area on the C Pillar, which I assume is for the auto open tailgate, which I don't have. Does anyone have a part number for either the grommet with opening for waiting for the auto tailgate actuator, or the blanking plug there? I'd like to utilize that to run the antenna for my fire dept radio, and some off road loghts to connect into the Whelen controller.
Old 12-01-2018, 02:38 PM

Model: Cherokee (KL)

I was running an amp wire if I had to do it again it would be dropped from the battery then ran under the vehicle then popped it up through the grommet in the rear where you pop out the little storage bin. drivers side in rear.