Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

1999 Jeep Cherokee Sport - Troubleshooting

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2012, 05:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L 6-cyl. engine
Smile 1999 Jeep Cherokee Sport - Troubleshooting

So, I had a few general issues with my Jeep and hoped to get some solutions to a few of my problems.

4-door
4.0L 6-cyl. engine
RWD
5-speed Manual transmission

1. The power steering (usually) goes out when it's driven through a water puddle. The steering then goes out and usually a squealing noise is heard and check gauges like comes on. Only solution I've found is to shut off the engine and start it back up.

2. Power windows are a pain. The driver side window will not go down and the only way to roll down the other 3 windows are from the driver side window control, so passengers can't roll their own window up or down.

3. When put into reverse it usually "grinds," sounding like the clutch isn't fully engaged.

4. It hasn't happened in about a month or so, but sometimes it will idle high when it's not even moving.

5. I think the brake drums are going out, but I'm not sure. What would be the signs of that?
Old 03-12-2012, 09:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

For item 1 it sounds like your serpentine belt is not at the right tension. Your tensioner and belt probably need to be replaced. Once water gets on the belt it is slipping and not driving the accessories due to the lack of tension.

For item 2 this is a common problem. There are several good tech articles in the forum. Try a few searches. One option is to bypass the lock out switch with a jumper. Another is to fix the switch in the door. This is a good tech article for that https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f51/ho...-switch-86322/

For item 3 it could be a hydrolic clutch issue or the clutch cover fingers are failing. Not sure how to diagnose this well.

For Item 4 I do not have a suggestion.

For item 6 the best thing to do is pull the drums and look at the drum, pads and the hardware. When they are failing it will have the metal on metal grinding sound. Once you hear this you will be replacing everything.
Old 03-12-2012, 09:35 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 99
Engine: 4.0

x2^^