Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

1999 Jeep Cherokee Rear End Clunk Over Bumps.

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2011, 06:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default 1999 Jeep Cherokee Rear End Clunk Over Bumps.

I know this is a popular question but I have a 1999 Jeep Cherokee 4dr 4.0 5-speed, and I have a fairly loud clunking noise in the rear (sounds like right rear) over quick jolts and bumps. The Jeep has 147,200 miles on it, and has been doing since I purchased it in November with 136,000 miles. My exhaust was rusted fairly bad, held on with clothes hangers, so I put new exhaust on it about a month ago, and still have the clunk. The swaybar bushings look good, and feels nice and tight. Shock mounts look good by looking at them. My 95 Cherokee had a shock bushing completly missing and it made a similar clunk to this. The two things that are wrong in the rear for sure are: The right rear shock is quite "bouncy". I can push down on the bumper and it bounces WAY more than if i press down on the left side. I also have a pinion seal leaking. Could this shock make this clunk? I dont think it is bottoming out. May have the original shocks on it. The shocks look about the same condition as the rear end and frame.

Note: Jeep does not make the clunk when there are people or heavy cargo in the rear.
Old 06-20-2011, 07:50 AM

Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

I have a blown passenger rear shock, and the same thing happens to me. I'd assume the shock is bad.
Old 06-20-2011, 09:04 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0L

There is a hanger that attaches to my exhaust right behind the muffler, and it broke so my tailpipe was was rubbing on my hitch mount, it caused a fairly loud and annoying clunk. Coat hanger fixed er up! Maybe you have the same problem idk?