Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

1999 Jeep Cherokee Classc 4.0 6L Shaking

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2018, 03:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 6.0 4L
Unhappy 1999 Jeep Cherokee Classc 4.0 6L Shaking

Hey everyone, I have been searching an searching and searching til Ive been blue in the face lol trying to figure out what to do about my jeep issues.... lol
Alrighty, here goes...

I have a 1999 Jeep Cherokee, Inline 6 with a 4.0L... i have about 246,000 miles on it...
So The skinny is when i am driving... say 45mph to about 65mph or so.... I get this shaking/stuttering feeling.... I have to either press down harder / accelerate more or left off the gas completely.. I cannot just hold my speeds in that range... or i get this shaking. Bad shaking at that.. Also, I get the same shaking when at a red light, or even in park. I have done some trouble shooting, and this is what I have done...

I have.... replaced the spark plug, spark plug wires, distributor cap, rotor button, ive replaced 2 vacuum lines, and for laughs.... I put some ... multi i should say cans of fuel line cleaner/injector clean in my fuel line. As of this morning, well early afternoon ..say about 11am... I had a fel test down and it came back find, so i know at least my fuel pump and fuel filter are ok.This last week my engine has tried cutting off on me a couple times while on the interstate and i had to press/jam the gas pedal 2x or so to get the jeep to wake up and resume... not what i would call fun times, but it did come back to life each time it happened within a second or two at that.

the error codes I am getting are...
P705
P1494 ( I cannot figure out what to do about this one as well in my case) ( I have replaced the Evapa-solenoid and its not making the "clicking" noise its suppose)

** and of course the code for the 02 sensors as Jeeps are notorious for those going bad...

One guy at Auto-zone said it might be bad computers but i doubt that my CPU's could cause an engine to run this rough.... just my thoughts, i could be wrong though.