Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Should I buy this 1992 Jeep Cherokee Sport?

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2018, 03:36 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: 4.0 I6
Default Should I buy this 1992 Jeep Cherokee Sport?

Hey guys. I saw a 1992 Jeep Cherokee Sport sitting on the corner of an intersection near me for sale today and decided to check it out. It was unlocked so I checked everything out. The interior was a bit rough. There were 2 rust spots on the floor in the back seats, there was some trash on the floor and it was a little dirty. It looked like it had gone through some water. The outside was in pretty good condition. There was a rust spot under the driver's side door, but not that big. There was also a dent right in front of the driver's side door but it didn't impede the door opening/closing at all. Other than those things, the inside and outside could just use some cleaning.

I took a look under the car too. It was a 4WD car, but the 4WD driveshaft was disconnected. Could this be indicative of any issues? The exhaust lines looked like they had some rust on them too, and the O2 sensors weren't plugged into them. Finally, there seemed to be some oil under the car that was a bit concerning. The car has been sitting there for a few days with no oil drips on the ground, but the oil pan and transmission pan were black and oily. I noticed a 5-quart bottle of oil in the back trunk too, so I'm assuming this thing is leaking some oil. This jeep is lifted some. The front 2 tires have perfect tread and the back 2 are getting low.

And finally, I took a look under the hood. The engine was actually very clean. Some of the coolant lines were very worn and one of the vacuum lines was getting pretty bad. But other than that, it looked really clean under the hood with no issues that I could see.

I've always been really interested in a jeep and I need a car. I am 17, still in high school, and need something to transport me 20 miles to school and back every day. The bus sucks. I noticed too that this jeep doesn't have airbags. How safe are these jeep Cherokees?

So I guess I'm just asking for thoughts/opinions. I do my own car work and it looks really simply to replace those oil pans/the gasket and to install a new 4wd driveshaft. It's an older vehicle so things are much simpler. I didn't check the odometer but I'm going to call the guy for a test drive and I'll get back with the mileage and anything the owner says about it.

Thanks