Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

'00 Jeep Cherokee with a cracked head (should I buy it?)

Old 06-12-2012, 08:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default '00 Jeep Cherokee with a cracked head (should I buy it?)

Hey everyone. I'm new to the site, so I apologize in advance if I happen to ask an obvious question lol. I've done some quick research on my own, but I wanted to join the site and ask a few actual Jeep owners .

I work at a gas station on weekends that happens to have a repair shop attached to us. I overheard that a customer brought in a 2000 Jeep Cherokee with a bad head gasket, that ended up having a cracked head. The shop took the head off almost a month ago, but the woman wasn't sure if she wanted to invest any money into the car to have a new/remanufactured head put on, so it literally sat for weeks outside with no head on the motor (thankfully the hood was closed!). Now weeks later, she's considering junking it for scrap. I asked the shop if I could buy it and pay off the labor she owes for taking off the head. So I might be able to get it for around or under $500.

It's far from perfect (cracked windshield, broken drivers seat, no radio, faded paint, high mileage, rusty wiper arms), but it's a Sport model with 4x4. It could come in handy this winter .

but unfortunately, after doing a little research, it looks like the 2000 and 2001 4.0L engines suffered from a poor head design (known as the 0331). My mother had a 1999 Cherokee a few years ago, and I loved it. but I'm hoping this 2000 isn't a less reliable design .

The Jeep has well over 200,000 miles on it, so I would rather not buy a new head for it. I'm wondering if anyone knows the model number of what head I should look for since this "0331" head is known for trouble. I hear that 1999 and older heads won't work well, and 2000 to 2001 heads weren't as good at 2003 to 2006 heads. I keep seeing "4.0L Jeep heads" for sale, but it's hard to know which model number or part number to look for.

Also, and most important, is this a gamble I should take? I work part time and go to school full time. It's not my main vehicle so I don't want to dig myself too deep financially. I don't mind doing the work myself and taking my time just bolting on a head, but a blown/cracked head gasket could've potentially caused severe damage to other parts of the engine, right? So if I were to buy a remanufacured or used head, is it possible that the short block could be shot from the engine overheating, etc.?

The shop owner doesn't recognize the Jeep, so she isn't a regular customer. I did find a receipt for a radiator job in the glove box, but other than that I don't know if it had any major service done.

Old 06-12-2012, 09:15 PM

Year: 1992
Engine: 4L I6 MPI "Power Tech HO"

Well if you don't mind some TLC (Tender Loving Care) then I say that is not a bad deal. I would personally only pay like 300 for it.
As for the overheating...was the jeep towed there or did the owner drive it there? If it was towed there then most likely the motor is ceased and I recommend you walk away from it.
Keep in mind that it has alot of miles for a 2000 XJ. They usually max out at 300,000 miles. Also, with this many miles on any car its going to nickel and dime to death until you replace everything but that comes back to the TLC.
It will probably cost you 500 to get the Jeep back on the road so bringing the total cost to 1000 bucks. They blue book for $3,486 with a fair rating. So....you are getting a swinging deal if you don't mind the work.
Old 06-12-2012, 09:29 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0

I would also consider the fact that the lady did not take very good care of it. The fluids probably did not get changed when they needed, and when something went wrong it probably was ignored.

That is just the impression I am getting, but you never know. I would be tempted to grab it for the parts at a lower price like suggested above. Then go out and find a decent condition xj that you have a little more confidence in.
Old 06-12-2012, 10:02 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1991
Engine: 4.0 L

:smokin:

Hey, just buy it, drop 3 grand in parts (hard parts like head, hubs, rotors and other stuff) and your own labor i.e. compression check after new head on, etc etc etc, clean the crap out of the interior, peruse junkyards for odd end items (seats, console covers etc).

and you might just have a do-able 4x4 for wintertime for goin boardin or skiing or just messing around in the snow.

the 6 bangers in these guys last a loooooooooong time if cared for right.

good luck sir!

cpnwrench

:smokin:
Old 06-12-2012, 11:35 PM

Year: 96

I would buy it cause Im a hobbiest. But hell I have a 78 GMC as well as a 80 Yamaha triple as well as my XJ to "hobby on".

It may take a dollar or two and some time but once its done,......
Old 06-12-2012, 11:45 PM

Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0L

Well there is already surface rust forming on the cylinder walls from the engine sitting open. I would find a lower mileage running 4.0L to swap in place of that. Unknown history on a 200k mile shortblock that had a cracked head? Yes you could invest the money to install a uncracked head and then find out the block is no good, and end up having to do it all over.

If you are looking to build a toy, a lift kit is a good option to replace many worn out suspension pieces in one shot
Old 06-13-2012, 01:50 AM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by mixtape
a blown/cracked head gasket could've potentially caused severe damage to other parts of the engine, right?
Yep. Particularly the bearings. They'll die a quick death marinating in antifreeze.
Normally i'd say to take a good look at the engine oil, but pulling the head probably resulted in some antifreeze mixing with the oil...you now have no way of knowing if it was driven like that, or if it was contaminated when the head was pulled.
I'd plan on a full rebuild, and enjoy the pleasant surprise if it doesn't need one.
Old 06-13-2012, 06:55 AM
CF Veteran

Received 99 Likes on 88 Posts
Year: 1999

Originally Posted by Accrdwgnguy
Well there is already surface rust forming on the cylinder walls from the engine sitting open. I would find a lower mileage running 4.0L to swap in place of that.
So would I. Offer her $300 (she'll likely take it if she is resigned to getting rid of it) and look for a salvage yard engine. If you can find an engine to swap in there and have the repair shop where you can do the work, you might be into this for under grand, which is reasonable.
Old 06-13-2012, 09:16 AM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0 HO

Sounds like a good parts car or base for a wheeler