Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

1999 Cherokee Sport (loud Clanking)

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2012, 07:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default 1999 Cherokee Sport (loud Clanking)

Hey Guys, Need some help, I have a 99 cherokee sport with a 93 engine in I put in a couple years ago, as of today I have 632,418 miles on it. Always has ran awesome and I have taken care of it. Well a couple of weeks ago I decided to put Slick 50 in it then a few days later I've had this loud clanking kinda noise. I put scope on it, doesn't sound like it from the top, put on lift seems to me more from the bottom end. Last night took off the inspection cover check tc bolts seem fine. In the morning at first I doesn't clank, but after warm up it starts. At first I didn't hear it after I accelerated but now I do. If I'm idleing you don't hear it much all the time but sometimes. When I put in Drive then there it goes. What is you opinion on this? Cracked flex plate? I kinda visually looked real quick but didn't see anything. Busted my knucles tighting bolts or trying to, they seems tight. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Going to work on Today over the weekend so hope someone see's this msg. Thanks again. Jeff All Speed Customs.
Old 09-01-2012, 07:25 AM

Year: 94
Engine: 4.0 I6

Flex plate bolts seem to back themselves out on these motors. Might wana try tightening them.
Old 09-01-2012, 01:59 PM

Talking Fixed issue

Yep checked flex plate bolts first. Decided to put in new flex plate, well had tranny almost ready to drop back then found missing one bolt on tranny and the two top bolts were very loose. Tightened all back up, took the chance and put everything back together and sounds perfect. I have 632K on this engine and really trying to make it to a million miles. We will see, the only thing I have had to fix on this jeep is the fuel filter, which kinda was a pain as it was in the tank, no external. This is a 93 engine in a 99 body. Thanks for the reply just wanted to let you know the deal with it.
Old 09-01-2012, 02:03 PM

Year: 94
Engine: 4.0 I6

Glad to hear it. Good luck with the million miles. 600,000 is already a great achievement.