Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

1999 cherokee 4.0 unusual elec issue

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2015, 06:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default 1999 cherokee 4.0 unusual elec issue

1999 jeep cherokee 4.0 has an elec issue. Would like to see if anyone else has had something similar. This has happened twice on slushy days.
1] the horns start going off ,the dont stop if I shut car off. I pulled relay. A few minutes later dome lights come on and dont go off . The next thing that happens is starter engages,with or without key in. I did find today that if I turned headlights on it would also engage starter. Any help would be appreciated. the car is stock. no one has played with the wiring
Thank you, Chris
Old 02-19-2015, 06:22 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Start by pulling, cleaning all connections and grounds. Once you have completed that and if still having the issue the column multi-switch or ign. switch may be an issue as most of the things you posted are controlled by things in the steering column.

Wet weather causing them makes me believe that it could be the connection in the engine bay. There are some VG electrical diagnostics members here they may be more help than I.
Old 02-19-2015, 08:13 AM

any help would be great. thank you, Chris
Old 02-19-2015, 10:20 AM
CF Veteran

Received 82 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by chpamiles
1999 jeep cherokee 4.0 has an elec issue. Would like to see if anyone else has had something similar. This has happened twice on slushy days.
1] the horns start going off ,the dont stop if I shut car off. I pulled relay. A few minutes later dome lights come on and dont go off . The next thing that happens is starter engages,with or without key in. I did find today that if I turned headlights on it would also engage starter. Any help would be appreciated. the car is stock. no one has played with the wiring
Thank you, Chris
Only on 'slushy' days. Does this mean you drove through slush then it happens?

Have you looked in the Power Distribution Center (PDC) to see if there's any evidence water/slush got in there.

What is the condition of your engine bay - clean, muddy, oily?
Old 02-20-2015, 06:18 AM

thank you for your responses. I would say the compartment is clean. I did see some slush\salt \water stains near cut out near battery. I was cleaning where the ground comes off the battery. There is a cutout[factory] where i can look through and see my tire. I wonder why it is there. I can see the staining down by the headlight harness. As soon as it warms up I want to check all elec plugs. I can find in engine compartment. I will unplug inspect and clean if needed each one.
Old 02-20-2015, 07:27 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

CCKEN glad you posted your better than I am on these for sure but that was all I could think of.

Slush and salt in the engine bay means lots of corrosion, questionable connections, grounds if you take them all apart do clean them for sure. The grounds to bare metal then coat to keep from rusting.