Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

1998 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4.0L Cruise Control Problem

Old 03-08-2012, 05:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Default 1998 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4.0L Cruise Control Problem

I'm hoping someone here can help me. I've read about 30 different pages trying to solve this. I've got a 1998 Jeep cherokee sport with a 4.0L engine. I cant get the cruise to work. The cruise light will come on but it wont set. The horn works, the brake switch and lights work, its got good vacuum, and the cable is tight. After all that I'm thinking its gotta be electrical. I've pulled the switch apart and checked it with a multimeter. It was within the factory specs. The only other thing wrong with the Jeep is it doesn't have the Neutral safety switch in it at all, its been bypassed. I don't think that would affect the cruise but I don't know exactly how the TCM is designed. Does anyone have any suggestions, I'm running out of ideas?
Old 03-08-2012, 06:37 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1997
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

I have read a few post where they state that if you bypass the NSS the cruise control will not work. I have looked at some wiring diagram where the NSS is connected to the PCM. That may be the reason.

I looked for a wiring diagram for the Sport but could not find one. On a 98 Cherokee the NSS does connect to the PCM.

You may check the brake light switch. It has some adjustment. Try lifting it with you foot while you try setting the cruise control. See if CC sets. Other then that you may have to do the CC electrical test.

I had a CC problem in my Dodge truck. I did the factory electrical test and it failed. A new servo and wiring harness fixed the problem.

You may also reconnect the NSS and see if that corrects the problem.
Old 03-11-2012, 01:39 PM

Hey thanks for the quick reply, after I read your post I read a found a few others about the NSS killing the cruise. I tested the brake switch before I spent the money on a new one but it worked. I just bought this jeep a couple weeks ago and it didn't have the NSS in it so I don't have an old one to hook back up. Fortunately, I found them on ebay for $45 as compared to the $200+ everywhere else is selling them for. Part should get here Monday or Tuesday and I'll get it put in and let you know if that solved the problem.
Old 03-15-2012, 09:23 AM

Default Problem Solved

Well I got the new NSS yesterday and got it installed. The reverse lights worked. Tested the cruise this morning on my way into work and it worked great. Thanks for the help.