Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

1998 Cherokee Hood latch wont lock drivers side

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2017, 12:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee(SJ)
Default 1998 Cherokee Hood latch wont lock drivers side

Hello Group:

It looks like something is broken, is there any way to fix the latch? The left side work fine, when a screwdriver shaft is used to push up,loacks then releases with cable, the drivers side doesn't lock at all, when using the same test. Something is preventing it from locking, Is there any way to fix? Any ideas, have no time to search junkyards for a replacement lol

Cant see what causes it to actually lock, sprayed down with lubricant every thing works but latch wont lock in place.

Thanks for any advice.

Paul

Last edited by pfan; 11-19-2017 at 12:07 PM.
Old 11-19-2017, 07:29 PM
CF Veteran

Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts
Year: 01, 99, 98, 98,98
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

I would just change it. Chances are if you mess around with it then it might close and not release. It likely has something to do with the little piece that the rod pushes over not returning to the correct position. I removed mine from the hood and split it in half and put it back together and nearly had it working but it wasn't worth all the time. Finally just replaced it. You may have better luck but it's so much easier just changing it. Careful with the screw that holds it to the hood as I've snapped one off before.
Old 11-19-2017, 07:56 PM
CF Veteran

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Year: 97

Could the release rod going across between the two be bent? A bent connector rod would keep one side from being allowed to fully latch and lock.
Old 11-20-2017, 09:08 AM
CF Veteran

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
Year: 1996

Edit...saw that you already lubed it. You might find one on eBay if you don't have time to hit the salvage yards.
Old 11-20-2017, 02:37 PM

Model: Cherokee(SJ)

Originally Posted by Waynerd
I would just change it. Chances are if you mess around with it then it might close and not release. It likely has something to do with the little piece that the rod pushes over not returning to the correct position. I removed mine from the hood and split it in half and put it back together and nearly had it working but it wasn't worth all the time. Finally just replaced it. You may have better luck but it's so much easier just changing it. Careful with the screw that holds it to the hood as I've snapped one off before.

I'm sure your right, its just aggravating, I can't figure out why its not working, it doesn't seem like a complcated mechanism! lol
Old 11-20-2017, 04:48 PM
CF Veteran

Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts
Year: 01, 99, 98, 98,98

^
Exactly what I thought but I just said forget it. Chances are even if you get it working it'll never be perfect again. Mine was messed up from either someone trying to pry the hood open or from it being slammed with the latch already closed. Or probably both. Of coarse nothing that I did.
Old 11-20-2017, 05:21 PM

Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0L

Originally Posted by pfan
I'm sure your right, its just aggravating, I can't figure out why its not working, it doesn't seem like a complcated mechanism! lol
Each mechanism isn't complicated but the entire locking mechanisms from the pull cable is sort of as it requires to be in good working order. If not in good working order what often happens is the pull cable eventually breaks.

It's important the pull cable handle is correctly secured down iirc, by all of the screws in the interior as sometimes the cable bracket becomes loose causing the cable to break.

The hardware under my hood was rusted and mucked up so I removed it and used an electric wire brush on it and then repainted some of it with alum. paint. * However didn't use paint on the interior areas because of springs and other mechanisms.

Removed the L shaped metal piece that the cable connects cleaned it up and repainted making certain it wasn't bent. .

Then completely removed the two side spring latches and the bar that runs between them and cleaned them up with the electric wheel wire brush.

Also removed the main (middle latch) and the two side spring latches from the engine compartment and cleaned those up as well. (you can give them some paint if needed but recommend only on the exterior areas)

During re-installation, only a light oil or silicon spray was used. If a heavy grease is used, potentially the mechanisms will collect dirt and become mucked up again. * (the hood locking mechanisms should be occasionally lubricated with some light oil, I'm not certain how frequent, every oil change or possibly longer duration?)

Also replaced the wire cable from the interior with an OEM as I went through two aftermarkets, of which both broke. This cable needs to be secured and routed properly or it often doesn't work correctly and causes problems. (this too was lubricated with some very light, slippery oil)

The aftermarket pull cables aren't quite as sturdy as the OEM but should work ok as long as everything is cleaned up, lubed and secured correctly.

The aftermarkets can be found as little as $11.00 (with shipping) on ebay. I think if installed correctly (secured with all the screw bolts (which their may be a third bolt) after cleaning and lubing up all the hood latch mechanisms should work ok and not break.

I'm not certain why auto manufactures make this sort of thing so technical and imo finicky, but for whatever reason they do. If something is off a little, potentially causes problem.

An alternative is to install two side (keyed or unkeyed) latches in the hood and remove the OEM latch.

here's a pic of a XJ's hood latch which I cleaned up only the exterior and didn't attempt to take apart and clean.

Same with the two side latches, only cleaned up areas accessible with a wire brush.

Cleaned up and painted the L shaped mech. Drilled out the two rivets and replaced with self tapping bolt type screws a little larger than the rivets, or can replace with new rivets.

Last edited by Anony; 11-20-2017 at 05:57 PM.
Old 11-20-2017, 09:08 PM
CF Veteran

Received 374 Likes on 294 Posts
Year: 1987
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

This may sound stupid but worked for me and a few others. After you pull the handle to open the hood, push the handle all the way back in. Mine was getting stuck and not going back to the correct spot on its own. I now make sure to push it back in everytime and havent had any issues since.