Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

1996 XJ Classic 4.0 bucking 1st,2nd,3rd accelerating

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2008, 01:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 HO
Default 1996 XJ Classic 4.0 bucking 1st,2nd,3rd accelerating

This is driving me nuts,it's not like a fuel thing it's like the key is turned off when accelerating hard in the lower gears,back off and press gas easier it is fine,it bucks so hard it feels like I am gonna go throught the windshild,checke d the CPS,O2 sensors,??It has a 4.0 HO,borla header,magnaflow exhaust,K&N Air Filter,Bosch +4 Plugs,runs perfect besides this,150k Vegas

Last edited by vegaslightsss; 12-01-2008 at 01:59 PM. Reason: engine specifics
Old 12-01-2008, 04:41 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1989
Engine: 4.0

sounds like yo are having a break down somewhere in the ingnition system. i'd check the cap and rotor and all the wires that go to the coil
Old 12-01-2008, 04:59 PM
CF Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Year: 1994...mostly...
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0L I6 HO, Lot's of Bolt Ons

Check the motor mounts? Could be the motor torquing really hard, my jeep does something similar but not as severe. My motor mount bushing on the driver side is shot and my friend who's a mechanic told me that's probably causing it. The motor is not sitting still and jerking the jeep. Hope that helps...

Sorry, just re-read your post, sounds like the torque converter is going out...
Old 12-01-2008, 07:44 PM

Hi All,Thanks for the replies,Maybe I should mention,I also have a 4.5" RE Lift,I swapped out the RE Shocks (Doetsch Tech's I think) for some KYB Monotube extended length Gas Shocks that were intended for a 3.5 Lifted TJ ,There were perfect Condition with Boots and all for 100 bux on Craigs List,I had to compress them with a jack and put Zip ties on them in order to put them on as they have so much pressure you CANNOT compress them by hand,SO the truck rides like a pogo stick,it also has the AAL and 1 1/2" Block for the rear instead of the full spring pack which I am going to swap out for some Nationals or Deavers as soon as I can get the Bucks together.I saw another post somewhere that a guy had a corroded ground cable from the Motor to the Body or something like that,It happens when accelerating hard when there is G or whatever force you want to call it when in the lower gears gassing it full throttle,I wonder if it's a motor mount and the cable is pulling against something.if I gas it gradually the problem is not there,it's only at "drag race" conditions???Vegas
Old 12-01-2008, 09:33 PM

Year: 1989 2x
Engine: 4.0L Straight 6

If you have a bad motor mount, whenever you get on the gas and the engine revs high the torque cause the engine to "turn or roll" in the engine bay. The motor mounts prevent this and dampen vibes caused by this with the rubber bushings. If one is bad then the engine will roll and cause problems.
Old 12-02-2008, 01:21 PM

Motor Mounts as well as all wiring connections are tights,If I am in the higher gears I can gradually apply throttle and maintain healthy running conditions as long as I want to so I don't think it's starving for Fuel,I cannot afford to just start replacing parts with no direction,It has been suggested my coil has an intermittent short or is on the verge of going bad,I have had coil issues in past vehiles and my experience is when they go they go like a light switch with no return to working conditions,as a coil is windings of copper,when they break,they break,does anyone know about a ground strap from the motoer as far as location on a 96,I am not spotting one,I do think my problem is something electrical in nature and more specifically in the Ignition system.Thanks Again for all who responded ,Jeep folks are of the most helpful folks on the planet,You all restore my faith in the Human Race!! Vegas