Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

1996 Trans Leak When Hot

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2013, 10:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Unhappy 1996 Trans Leak When Hot

Hello,
I have a 1996 Jeep Cherokee 4.0L HO
The transmission is made by Toyota

After a long hard towing session my tranny started leaking fluid to the point it looked like it was raining nder the car.
Immediatly took it to the garage to have it looked at.
Guy cleaned it off, could not detect any leaks, "serviced" the tranny and all seemed well.
Had to return as one of th hoses was apparently rotten inside at the trans connection point and stared leaking....
At this point all seems well.
Drive it on and off, no longer than 5-10 miles all is good.
After average city driving for approx 1/2 hour, I proceeded up a 1/2 mile standard grade hill, upon reaching midway up I notice more gas is required to keep speed up.
At top of hill, Jeep is smoking from tranny leak, and it's raining fluid under car again , fraid it may catch fire, if this keeps up.

Take it back, guy thinks it was a burp from breather tube, cleans it off, test drives it, no leaks for a day, then it starts again. Trans guy has pretty much given up I think, and from what I know of him, he's pretty good.

The ol' ATF-4 is breaking me up, not to mention the spots I'm leaving.....

Thanks ahead of time for any thoughts/questions! ~jdk
Old 07-20-2013, 10:36 AM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1994
Engine: Inline 6 4.0L High Output

Sounds like you have roasted your tranny. Is the fluid dark brown and smell burnt? You need to add an external cooler to the tranny lines at the radiator heat exchanger.
Old 07-20-2013, 11:00 AM
CF Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0

how does the vent for the trans look ? is it clogged ?

if it's over full it'll do that too. getting hot inside. trans fluid expands a lot with heat. if it getting hot it will find ways to exit.

Last edited by s346k; 07-20-2013 at 11:03 AM.
Old 07-20-2013, 11:08 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 1997, 1993
Engine: 4.0L

Your trans is cooked.

When towing you can't use overdrive and if towing for distance or with a large load you need an external trans cooler.

Also, should have Dex/Merc III in the trans and not ATF 4+
Old 07-20-2013, 02:35 PM

ATF4 is not ok to use in you trans. No matter what TSB you read.
Where is the fluid coming from add a picture?
I just had to re-do a already new pump seal in the bell housing because my vent line had pinched and blew out my seals.
Im guessing its leaking onto the exhaust and creating a smoke cloud?

Also Im not sure the trans is made by toyota who told you that haha
Old 07-20-2013, 06:12 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

The trans is an AW4 which is also used by Toyota in similar versions. This is a common problem when these trans are over worked. They blow excess fluid out the vent and it hits the hot exhaust causing smoke and oil on the tailgate. Oil level is very important and overfilling will make this worse. As youve said it was run hard towing. This did not help as you have realized. This trans also likes Dexron III. This has been documented often in many threads and other websites. With a fluid change to Dexron III not 4, and to the proper level and not overfilled should get you back to working well. As others have said a good cooler is also recommended. These trans are known to make it to 300K with only fluid changes.

Ron
Old 07-20-2013, 06:20 PM

Originally Posted by may pop
The trans is an AW4 which is also used by Toyota in similar versions. This is a common problem when these trans are over worked. They blow excess fluid out the vent and it hits the hot exhaust causing smoke and oil on the tailgate. Oil level is very important and overfilling will make this worse. As youve said it was run hard towing. This did not help as you have realized. This trans also likes Dexron III. This has been documented often in many threads and other websites. With a fluid change to Dexron III not 4, and to the proper level and not overfilled should get you back to working well. As others have said a good cooler is also recommended. These trans are known to make it to 300K with only fluid changes.

Ron
I would bet its the pump seal around the input shaft I just finished mine..

but AW stands for Aisin Warner
Toyota is not the manufacturer was just makign that clear lol
Old 07-20-2013, 10:44 PM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Aisin (now called Aisin AW) is 30% owned by Toyota. Warner, as in Borg-Warner, AMC's old transmission supplier hasn't been a partner for decades, although Aisin kept the "AW" name.
Old 07-21-2013, 12:12 AM

Originally Posted by Radi
Aisin (now called Aisin AW) is 30% owned by Toyota. Warner, as in Borg-Warner, AMC's old transmission supplier hasn't been a partner for decades, although Aisin kept the "AW" name.
Thats insane I never knew any of that. Nothing like someone like me talking out of their *** lol

Borg-Warner is also a great manufacturer of excellent turbos
Old 07-21-2013, 12:19 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by allevolution
Thats insane I never knew any of that. Nothing like someone like me talking out of their *** lol
Except you were correct, Toyota is not the manufacturer. They merely have an ownership interest in Aisin and buy many (if not all?) their trans' from them.
Old 07-21-2013, 12:34 AM
CF Veteran

CNF, hopefully you've changed ALL your transmission fluid after the overheat? Once the fluid cooks the next overheat is just around the corner and if the first one didn't cook the trans the second probably will. Overheated fluid doesn't lubricate or cool correctly anymore.
AW4 is tough as nails but this is their one weakness- they don't like heat. (and they tend to run warm as it is). Agreed entirely on Dex III, not ATF4 and adding a nice big cooler.
Old 07-22-2013, 10:29 AM

Default Did not make it to the burnt stage

Thank you for all the replies....Great site/GREAT members!

Was not in OD, rarely use it, cept' in winter.
I was towing a trailer with 4k of shingles split between Jeep and trailer.

Got the Toyota manufacturing thing from my mechanics assistant. Duely noted and passed on!
Thank you for straightening me out!

Oddly enough the fluid never reached the "burnt" stage, just came raining out a pretty red. I think/hope I caught it in time!

I am looking into a external cooler. Thank you for the suggestion!

Apparently only I was using the ATF+4 not my mechanic, he uses Dextron III

I am going to have them check the pump seal (again) in the bell housing and see if the vent line is possibly pinched.

I had asked them to do this originally but they did not think the leak was comming from there as it only leaks when it gets real warm/hot.

Thank you all again. Your help is much appreciated!! ~jdk

Last edited by CincyNightFlyer; 07-22-2013 at 10:45 AM. Reason: corrections/additions
Old 07-22-2013, 11:48 AM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1993
Engine: 4.0, APN header & 2.5" exhaust

I was having a similar problem, here in the AZ desert the ambient temps get well above 110℉. The fluid would start leaking enough that it would start smoking on the exhaust. I added a cheap external tube cooler when I did the 2 row radiator and almost eliminated the leak now.
Old 07-22-2013, 05:29 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1997, 1993
Engine: 4.0L

Originally Posted by CincyNightFlyer
Thank you for all the replies....Great site/GREAT members!

Was not in OD, rarely use it, cept' in winter.
I was towing a trailer with 4k of shingles split between Jeep and trailer.

Got the Toyota manufacturing thing from my mechanics assistant. Duely noted and passed on!
Thank you for straightening me out!

Oddly enough the fluid never reached the "burnt" stage, just came raining out a pretty red. I think/hope I caught it in time!

I am looking into a external cooler. Thank you for the suggestion!

Apparently only I was using the ATF+4 not my mechanic, he uses Dextron III

I am going to have them check the pump seal (again) in the bell housing and see if the vent line is possibly pinched.

I had asked them to do this originally but they did not think the leak was comming from there as it only leaks when it gets real warm/hot.

Thank you all again. Your help is much appreciated!! ~jdk

4K is plenty of a load to way overheat the trans.

Read my posts on this other hot trans thread that's going on. It has a short writeup on how to put in an explorer plate style cooler that will fix your problem. https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f67/tr...estion-174792/
Old 07-22-2013, 06:40 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0

The leak your all talking about. Does it come from the front of the trans between the motor? I had a leak like that about a month ago, it went away, then today, it started leaking again and into the exhaust

Quick Reply: 1996 Trans Leak When Hot