Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

1996 Cherokee sport: tie rod and center link rotate?

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2016, 05:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default 1996 Cherokee sport: tie rod and center link rotate?

I'm having steering issues with my 1996 Cherokee. It's very difficult to keep straight on the highway and if I hit a bump on one of the tires it sort of forces the tires and steering wheel in the opposite direction. I unfortunately don't have a jack right now so I can't lift it up right now,but crawled under it and noticed that the tie rod and center link (I think that's what it is) rotate a little at the "ball joints" the rods are connected to (probably not ball joints.) I apologize for the lack of proper names,but I've never done suspension work. I'll attach some pictures of what I'm talking about.

The first picture shows the center link (I think) in red,tie rod in blue and the "ball joint" (not sure what to call it) in green. The tie rod and center connect around the passenger side so it's easy to twist the two of them there. My question is,is this normal? Or is this possibly what's causing my steering issue?
Old 06-21-2016, 06:30 PM

Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

Is it lifted? Sounds like an alignment issue. If you don't have enough caster, it will wander and the steering wheel will need constant correction.

Also sounds like you have bump steer. https://www.bing.com/search?q=bump+s...0A4F597834AF46

There's usually enough play in the tie rod ends to rotate it by hand. Need to jack it up and shake it side to side (tie rod ends),and up and down (loose ball joints).

Or leave it on the ground, have someone turn the wheel side to side and look for loose ends.
Old 06-21-2016, 06:32 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: I6 4.0L

No worries about not knowing the names to things - you learn by doing and asking questions. Circled in blue is your tie rod. In red is a "tie rod adjusting sleeve". This sleeve attaches a tie rod end to your drag link. Circled in green is a tie rod end. Tie rod ends have ball joints in them. You should be able to rotate the tie rod and drag link a little bit around the tie rod ends/ball joints...because that is what they are designed to do. Think of your shoulder or hip - those are ball joints, too!

It sounds to me like you first need to get an alignment. If it is out of alignment is will be hard to steer and the vehicle will wander.

Hitting a bump and having the steering wheel jerk around is called bump steer. Your steering stabilizer helps counteract bump steer, so it may be worn out.

If problems persist after a balance, alignment, and new steering stabilizer, it is time to really dig in and inspect your steering components and replace what is worn out. You should actually do that anyway.

In short, the movement you asked about is not an issue. Spend more time looking for play in the joints and worn rubber parts. It's good to see you're already underneath looking around.
Old 06-21-2016, 07:03 PM

Originally Posted by NM-XJ
No worries about not knowing the names to things - you learn by doing and asking questions. Circled in blue is your tie rod. In red is a "tie rod adjusting sleeve". This sleeve attaches a tie rod end to your drag link. Circled in green is a tie rod end. Tie rod ends have ball joints in them. You should be able to rotate the tie rod and drag link a little bit around the tie rod ends/ball joints...because that is what they are designed to do. Think of your shoulder or hip - those are ball joints, too!

It sounds to me like you first need to get an alignment. If it is out of alignment is will be hard to steer and the vehicle will wander.

Hitting a bump and having the steering wheel jerk around is called bump steer. Your steering stabilizer helps counteract bump steer, so it may be worn out.

If problems persist after a balance, alignment, and new steering stabilizer, it is time to really dig in and inspect your steering components and replace what is worn out. You should actually do that anyway.

In short, the movement you asked about is not an issue. Spend more time looking for play in the joints and worn rubber parts. It's good to see you're already underneath looking around.
Ok sounds good. Thanks for all the info!