Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

1995 GC "not shifting"

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2012, 07:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default 1995 GC "not shifting"

hi! I知 new to forums so sorry in advance if I知 doing this wrong. i have just recently purchased a 1995 jeep grand Cherokee Laredo 6 cil automatic 4x4 because i am going to be moving up north and wanted something 4wd, my mom had a jeep similar to this when i was a kid and I致e always kind of liked them. just wanted something kind of cool and reliable. anyways, sorry rambling , here is the problem . truck drove fine for the first few hundred miles . then one day it seemed like it was not shifting , like it was stuck in 2nd or 3rd or something, i looked into it ( Google and forums) and came to the conclusion that it was in "limp mode" but when i check codes, key on and off thing , i get 12 and 21 , from the check engine light , and nothing from the od led , now the real question , , and have no access to obd1 scanner, is my gc supposed to flash from the od led for sure , and it is not because there is some problem with the tcm,(no com) or is there no tcm codes ? and it痴 in limp mode ? or is the 12, and 21 I知 getting from the check engine light flashing my tcm codes?? if the tcm is fried i would get no codes from the od led ? and be stuck in third gear ? right ? please help. not sure what I知 even checking but I have checked a lot of stuff!! Like to get it running good before road trips or mods!!! Once again please help and thanks in advance !!