Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

1995 Cherokee

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2008, 11:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default 1995 Cherokee

So, i'm new to this forum, but i've been a member on wrangler forum. But anyways one of my sister's old boyfriends is selling his xj. It's a 1995 with 150,000 miles. It has 10" of lift and 36" TSL's. He wants $3,000 for it, a good price. However it isn't currently street legal. I'm 16 and i currently am driving a chevy astro van, which is great because i can fit a ton of gear and friends to go to different places. The thing is that i would have to make the rig street legal as this would be my only vehicle. I was also wondering if you lifted guys ever have to change your planes based around the fact that you don't have the best road friendly car? Just let me know how you guys feel about driving your rig if it's your DD. Thanks.
Here's a picture:
Old 06-22-2008, 12:58 AM
Renix Super Guru

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Year: 1990XJ/1989MJ
Model: Comanche
Engine: 4.0L Renix

Don't understand about changing planes. I do that when I fly but not when driving my Jeep, and mine is lifted. What part of the XJ is not street legal in your state?
Old 06-22-2008, 02:07 AM

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

X2 let us know what isnt legal then we can advise things for you to do about changing it and how much those things would cost.
Old 06-22-2008, 02:08 AM

well, it needs the gas tank to be replaced as right now it is just a 5 gallon bucket in back. I also believe that most of the lighting needs to be re done and it has been bashed up on the trails...me buying this rig is doubtful for a few reasons, but i'm still very interested in a cherokee and i'm just wondering how much you guys enjoy using them as DD. But here's a link to the CL if it'll work- http://chicago.craigslist.org/nwc/car/724551068.html
Old 06-22-2008, 02:09 AM

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

I love my lifted XJ as a DD, wouldnt have it anyother way. I just wish it was better on gas.

I would get away from that rig, too many potential problems with what he has currently done to it.
Old 06-22-2008, 02:10 AM

Originally Posted by BlueXJ
Don't understand about changing planes. I do that when I fly but not when driving my Jeep, and mine is lifted. What part of the XJ is not street legal in your state?
my bad- i meant plans, for like getting places(other people driving).
Old 06-22-2008, 02:11 AM

Originally Posted by Kyle
I love my lifted XJ as a DD, wouldnt have it anyother way. I just wish it was better on gas.

I would get away from that rig, too many potential problems with what he has currently done to it.

yea, that's what i'm thinking, if i get an xj, it'll probably be stock, or close to. But i have ridden in that jeep before and it is an absolute animal.
Old 06-22-2008, 07:27 AM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 90
Engine: 4.0

Welcome to another local...

We have no inspections in Illinois beyond emissions testing in the six-county insane asylum. Unluckily for you, Kane County is tested. So no gas tank fails the visual part of the inspection.

I would avoid that rig though especially as a DD. What you have now already gets bad gas milage so the XJ wouldn't be any different. but when someone else does work to a rig that you don't know, you can't trust their quality.

If the guy wouldn't properly replace a gas tank, where else did he try and cut corners???
Old 06-22-2008, 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by whowey
Welcome to another local...

We have no inspections in Illinois beyond emissions testing in the six-county insane asylum. Unluckily for you, Kane County is tested. So no gas tank fails the visual part of the inspection.

I would avoid that rig though especially as a DD. What you have now already gets bad gas milage so the XJ wouldn't be any different. but when someone else does work to a rig that you don't know, you can't trust their quality.

If the guy wouldn't properly replace a gas tank, where else did he try and cut corners???

yea, i've been talked out of this rig, however, i do know the guy and i know that the work isn't poorly done, he just hasn't felt the need to replce the tank as the article states. And thanks fo the input about the xj. and lucky for me i'm in McHenry County, not Kane
Old 06-22-2008, 02:45 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0L HO

Originally Posted by nvr-enough
yea, that's what i'm thinking, if i get an xj, it'll probably be stock, or close to. But i have ridden in that jeep before and it is an absolute animal.
yea get a nice stock xj, try to find one thats been taken good care of and doesnt have any mud underneither. they arent expensive to lift so i wouldnt be too worried about it.
Old 06-22-2008, 02:56 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 90
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by nvr-enough
yea, i've been talked out of this rig, however, i do know the guy and i know that the work isn't poorly done, he just hasn't felt the need to replce the tank as the article states. And thanks fo the input about the xj. and lucky for me i'm in McHenry County, not Kane
It's coming your way... Don't you think all those lily white folks escaping Kane and Lake counties going to McHenry, Boone and Winnebago county is going to bring the testing to you?

There was a bill that died in committee last session that would have included McHenry, Winnebago, Kankakee and Madison(IIRC) in the testing. Blago wanted it to boost state revenue, so Madigan's cronies killed it.

And you guys already have probably the third biggest idiot in Springfield in McHenry county. The moron sponors, the stupid scrapping bill that Brady puts up every session. He sponsered the bill to put the entire state under emissions testing, do away with expiring standards and close loop holes for alternative fueled vehicles.
Old 06-22-2008, 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by whowey
It's coming your way... Don't you think all those lily white folks escaping Kane and Lake counties going to McHenry, Boone and Winnebago county is going to bring the testing to you?
yea, it's very unfortunate. I used to love living here, but now it has just become too over populated with the city type for my likings, and i can't wait to get away from it. Don't get me wrong, it's a wonderful place, but time to move on