Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

1994 jeep cherokee sport

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2016, 06:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default 1994 jeep cherokee sport

I bought a new to me 1994 jeep cherokee sport with the 4.0 and 5 speed....
As it being my first time buying a 4x4.. I did not check to see if the front drive shaft was in place... it wasnt!! So I have no 4x4 at the moment, if I engage it, I cannot move. the engine will rev, but no motion. I know, Im am a complete idiot. I assume the T-case is shot so they removed the front axle to drive it in 4x2. It drives fine with just the rear axle. I have a few questions. I know the front axle is good, I can turn both wheels freely, I opened the front diff cover and its clean, albeit low on fluid, it has no metal frags, and has clean gearing. My second order of business. how do I diagnose the T-case? I know I'd need to remove it, but should I buy a T-case or maybe rebuild mine? It is the 2hi,4hi,N,4L transfer case, I don't remember the model.. I'm slightly mechanically inclined, but I'm not a master technician. I know a drive shaft is fairly cheap. The pinion on the front driveshaft is very wobbly, it hangs out and when I turn the wheels it turns with the wheel, so I know the front diff is good, I just wasn't sure the alotted slack for a pinion. Other than that. I think I have a fairly good jeep. I love to work on it, and its my toy, not my Daily, so I can wrench away. Let me know what you think I should do, I am new to the forums and appreciate any knowledge, thank you fellow Jeepers!!! Attached is the jeep and my fiancée
Attached Thumbnails 1994 jeep cherokee sport-jeep.jpg