Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Central Mass XJ help here. Damper mount rotted off! Also front Driveshaft question.

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2016, 12:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Default Central Mass XJ help here. Damper mount rotted off! Also front Driveshaft question.

Hi, I bought a '00 XJ with only 74k miles (Police XJ), but new england salt took it's toll on the front end, kind of discouraging right now. I noticed though there was no stabilizer, so I was going to buy one because it vibrates to hell (sway bar links rotted, bushings, needs allignment, front shaft and rear shaft ujoints are junk), but besides all that, the mount for the damper on the passenger side is gone, don't even see one, I believe it rotted off. Also the *** end sits high and front sits lower. I get clunks under the drivers floor, going in to drive it bangs, I mean 74k motor and trans should be perfect. I can move the front shaft by hand around when in park is that normal? Also anyone else's damper mount rot off? Did you make a new bracket somehow? Besides the front end being rusted to hell and one rocker, she's clean. Can I just take off the front shaft and drive without it, obviously i'd be in 2 wheel the whole time. I work 40 min away, highway and it's undrivable right now, I will lose my job over this. Anyone know the bolt sizes or where I can get (sameday) replacement bolts for sway bar links, also the sway bar bushing mount bolts? These are so rusty that if you give them a dirty look they will crumble.
Old 09-28-2016, 07:59 PM

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts
Year: 89
Model: Cherokee
Engine: Renix 4.0

Crown Auto is in Canton and wil probably have anything you need right away, or next day. Call them, good to work with.

Otherwise, I believe you can remove the front driveshaft and drive it safely in 2WD without, but don't quote me on that

I have a shop Bridgewater and can weld in a bracket or whatever else for you. I fab for a living, but won't charge too much if you need a hand.

Have fun bringing it up to speed