Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

1994 Cherokee rhd trans won't shift out of 1st gear when warm.

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2019, 10:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Default 1994 Cherokee rhd trans won't shift out of 1st gear when warm.

Ok guys I'm pulling my hair our chasing this shifting issue.have a 94 rhd Cherokee that won't shift from 1st to second gear after about a mile. When it's cold it shifts just fine. Changed out the tps, valve body, soliniods, tcu, speed sensor, cleaned all the grounds, checked the ohms of the soliniods through the the cable next to the dipstick. Pulled the fuse for the tcu and it shifts manually. What else can I look for. I forgot is also slips in second gear if I lift my foot off the gas to get it to shift when warm. When cold shifts fine and no slippage.
Old 03-12-2019, 11:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1997
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: 4.0L I6

Originally Posted by Azcavedude
Ok guys I'm pulling my hair our chasing this shifting issue.have a 94 rhd Cherokee that won't shift from 1st to second gear after about a mile. When it's cold it shifts just fine. Changed out the tps, valve body, soliniods, tcu, speed sensor, cleaned all the grounds, checked the ohms of the soliniods through the the cable next to the dipstick. Pulled the fuse for the tcu and it shifts manually. What else can I look for. I forgot is also slips in second gear if I lift my foot off the gas to get it to shift when warm. When cold shifts fine and no slippage.
Have you changed the tranny fluid/checked the levels? I've heard that a tranny will shift differently depending on how much tranny fluid is in it. It might seem like a simple/stupid idea but sometimes that's all it takes haha.