Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

1993 Jeep Cherokee no Crank

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2017, 08:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1993
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L I6
Default 1993 Jeep Cherokee no Crank

Did some electrical work this weekend on the xj to get my reverse lights working. (Haven't worked since I purchased from PO) Turns out my jeep was originally an automatic by where the wires were for the reverse lights, and the fact that they didn't go anywhere, spliced them up and finally had reverse lights! After I put everything back together, I went to start the xj and nothing. Lights and radio and everything come on, and radio cuts out when I try to crank.

I read several threads about no crank issues, and followed some steps to determine what could be wrong. First started with the battery, it has good voltage right around 12.4 Volts. Next looked for voltage at the starter B+ post to the starter body and had 12.4V, from the battery positive post to the small post on the starter I had 12.4v as well. I figured I might as well get the starter checked out, and it passed the test at Auto Zone, and I jumped the B+ post on the starter to the small post with a screwdriver while the key was on and the xj started. So next I tested the relay, swapping around relays didn't help. The relay checked out to be fine, and there was 12v from cavity 30 to 85. I moved on the to the ignition switch wire, and checked that for voltage while cranking, tried different spots for ground and got 0 voltage. I figured I needed to get a new ignition switch, but wanted to check it anyways.

Dropped the steering column, and disconnected the connectors to the ignition switch. Took the switch off and the terminals looked okay. Cleaned off the grounding points on the switch and the column and put it back on. I probed the yellow wire from the back, and tested for voltage while cranking. Sure enough I had 12.4v. So clearly the switch is okay, but somehow voltage isn't getting from the switch to the relay then to the starter.

I'm quite lost as to what is causing the issue as I've checked everything that has been said to be checked when having a no crank issue. I'm wondering if somehow the yellow wire from the switch to the relay broke when I was taking or putting the wire conduit back on, as I had to take it off to track down the issue with the reverse lights.

Is there anything I missed? Really want my jeep to be running again as it's my daily driver, and as of now I have to bum rides to get to school and anywhere else.
Old 02-08-2017, 08:55 PM
CF Veteran

Received 89 Likes on 78 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0L

I don't know the 93 well, but have any applicable fuses been checked already? (your post seems pretty thorough).
Old 02-08-2017, 08:57 PM

Originally Posted by jordan96xj
I don't know the 93 well, but have any applicable fuses been checked already? (your post seems pretty thorough).
Forgot to mention that, but yes I checked the fuses that are involved in the starter. Fuse 10 and 5 both had voltage on each side.
Old 02-09-2017, 01:24 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 2000 and 1998
Engine: 4.0

when i had an intermittent reman starter i routinely started with a screwdriver till i got the NEW starter. mighta looked like i was stealing it!.
its a good thing to know you can do that.
Old 02-09-2017, 03:45 AM
CF Veteran

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Year: 1989 xj sport 2dr
Engine: 12 hole bosch Injectors

Google ...No start bad NSS.
Old 02-09-2017, 09:29 AM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0 Litre I6

So you had all the applicable voltages at the starter with the key on and no crank? That's odd. I know the starter passed the bench test. However, the ECU allowing the voltage to be present at the starter seems like that proves out the permissives are okay and the ECU is trying to allow the XJ to start. Check connections at the starter.
Old 02-09-2017, 09:34 AM
CF Veteran

So you had all the applicable voltages at the starter with the key on and no crank? That's odd. I know the starter passed the bench test. However, the ECU allowing the voltage to be present at the starter seems like that proves out the permissives are okay and the ECU is trying to allow the XJ to start. Check connections at the starter. Maybe an intermittent starter?
Old 02-09-2017, 10:30 AM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0L

Tap the starter with a hammer (careful not to hulk out) and try to restart. Starters can suddenly quit working whenever they want. Dead spot on the armature. Just something else to try since it looks like your voltages are good. You could also jump the terminals to see if you can get her to spin. We just want to confirm that the starter works mechanically.
Old 02-09-2017, 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by freegdr
Google ...No start bad NSS.
No NSS for me, XJ is a manual, was originally a automatic I'm thinking cause of where the wires for the reverse lights where located.
Old 02-09-2017, 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by CurrySoSpicy
So you had all the applicable voltages at the starter with the key on and no crank? That's odd. I know the starter passed the bench test. However, the ECU allowing the voltage to be present at the starter seems like that proves out the permissives are okay and the ECU is trying to allow the XJ to start. Check connections at the starter. Maybe an intermittent starter?
I'll double check the connections and look for corrosion on the cables, but they did look okay.
Old 02-09-2017, 11:46 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Bigthoven370
I'll double check the connections and look for corrosion on the cables, but they did look okay.
Make sure you follow Jeepin ain't EZ's advice as well. It is really pointing towards the starter.
Old 02-09-2017, 11:47 AM

Originally Posted by Jeepin'_Aint_EZ
Tap the starter with a hammer (careful not to hulk out) and try to restart. Starters can suddenly quit working whenever they want. Dead spot on the armature. Just something else to try since it looks like your voltages are good. You could also jump the terminals to see if you can get her to spin. We just want to confirm that the starter works mechanically.
I tried and got nothing, did jump the starter with a screwdriver with the key in the on position and the XJ fired up.
Old 02-09-2017, 12:28 PM
CF Veteran

I tried and got nothing, did jump the starter with a screwdriver with the key in the on position and the XJ fired up.
seems like the starter. Nujeepguy, a user here, had the same problem about a month ago. Sometimes the starter would work and sometimes it wouldn't. But it always would work when jumped with a screw driver. It was a remanufactured starter that gave him the issues. He replaced it with a new one and it's been happy days ever since.
Old 02-09-2017, 01:04 PM

Originally Posted by CurrySoSpicy
seems like the starter. Nujeepguy, a user here, had the same problem about a month ago. Sometimes the starter would work and sometimes it wouldn't. But it always would work when jumped with a screw driver. It was a remanufactured starter that gave him the issues. He replaced it with a new one and it's been happy days ever since.
That's probably the best idea, I'm not sure how old the starter is and seeing how the PO was about fixing things might as well get it replaced!
Old 02-09-2017, 01:05 PM
CF Veteran

That's probably the best idea, I'm not sure how old the starter is and seeing how the PO was about fixing things might as well get it replaced!
excellent idea! Make sure you don't get a reman, get new. Report back, let us know!