Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

1993 cherokee electrical gremlin

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2011, 08:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1993
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0l
Default 1993 cherokee electrical gremlin

hi all been tryin to get some direction on my ever elusive electrical gremlin............. i lost my power door locks, stereo, dome lights and the low & intermitent wipers. oh and my power drivers seat. checked fuses, relays and virtually every inch of wiring looking for an awnser but no go..... i am open to all suggestions.......please help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 06-19-2011, 02:38 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1988 & 1990
Engine: Inline 6

Hi, I just signed up here and I am just starting my jeep adventure but I've had some problems along the same lines as you are having now. I'm not sure if I'll be any help but I'll try.

First, the power locks, check for a broken ground wire inside the rubber tube that runs between the drivers door and the door frame. The wire you are looking for is a black one and it's quite common for this wire to break given the number of times the drivers door opens and closes. When you find the broken wire, don't just join up the ends,it's better to solder it and then wrap with shrink tube.

Second, the wipers, another common problem. Below the dash, just about where your left knee is there is a relay. It's attached with velcro. That relay controls the delay action of your wipers. It has a long flat plug attached to one side and a thicker plug on the other side. These two plugs can be unplugged from the relay and plugged together and your wipers will work but not on delay. My jeep had no relay at all so a trip to the wrecker and 3 bucks and everything works as it's supposed to.

Third, the stereo, check the cig lighter. Both the stereo and lighter are on the same fuse so if the lighter still works, you may have a fuse in the main power wire that feeds the stereo especially if the stereo is an aftermarket one

Fourth,the dome light is on the same fuse as the other interior lights so if your glove box light is still working then you have to follow the wire that goes to the dome light. Not an easy job since about half of that wire is above the headliner.
I assume you have checked all the fuses and bulbs already but maybe check them again with new fuses and bulbs, the worst that can happen is you'll spend a few bucks and have some spares. The best is that everything will work.

I hope this helps

Rudy
Old 06-20-2011, 08:24 PM

that helps, never looked in the tube, and i have no low wiper setting, no interior lights, stereo ( cig lighter works its whats powering the radio now as a quick fix) and my power seat stoppped working. gonna check in the doors but cant figure out why all power accesories except cig lighter and power windows still work.
Old 06-20-2011, 08:32 PM
CF Veteran

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts
Year: 1989 xj sport 2dr
Engine: 12 hole bosch Injectors

fuses have been checked right?
Old 06-22-2011, 03:07 PM

yes i have checked all the fuses..... the strange thing is one day i got in and used my tilt column and thats when everything stopped working
Old 06-22-2011, 03:19 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1987
Engine: 4.0 liter RENIX I-6, DIY Cold Air Intake, 2.5 FM Exhaust, 3 Core Radiator

I would just about gurantee 99.9% that you pinched a wire in your tilt steering column and shorted everyhing that isn't working to ground. I had to replace the multifunction stick on my Jeep so I know what I'm talking about. I had my steering column completely gutted at one point. There is no wiggle room inside that column for the wiring at all.
Old 06-30-2011, 08:35 PM

thanks i neveght about that i had my tilt column apart trying to fix my high beam clicker maybe i messed something up. i"ll try that on pay day. much appreciated all who are trying to get a newb to cherokees on the right path