Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

1991 cherokee briarwood wont start after overhaul

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2009, 07:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default 1991 cherokee briarwood wont start after overhaul

Ok, so i tried on other forums and unfortunately never got a reply.

Basically heres the history of what im working on.

My father and i picked up a 91 jeep chrokee briarwood out of anchorage(i live in alaska) about 8 months ago. Got it for a steal of deal imo but little did we realize the issues we would have running it. It started up when we bought it, but had a horrible knock. Someone had, here it goes, USED THE WRONG SPARKPLUGS(too long) thus, resulting in a cracked piston. We purchased an 89 that had the i6 in it last year that had been in a rear collission. Tore that motor out, stripped it to a short block w/ internals, shrunk wrap then left it.

Now, the numbers on the pistons matched, we took the head in to napa to have it ground down, reseated the valves, and had it tanked because it was slightly warped from the previous motor tossing that broken piece of piston around in there. Once everything was hooked back up, we got ready for fire. negative.

still no fire and this is what weve done:

replaced the distributor, crank sensor, ecu, timing gears/chain, the lifts from the old motor went into this one and the rods went back in the same way they came out. the cam from the 91, we made sure everything lined up the way it should with the timing marks.

now, when we hook up the timing light, we get spark from 1-4-6-3.

2 and 5 seem to have an issue with intermittant sparking, 5 gets one, rarely. 2 i cant pull a spark at all.

sorry for the spelling errors im on my way out the door to go try to get this thing to start.

injectiors are pulsing correctly, i mean were completely stumped, the factory alarm has been disabled so we know thats not it.

it just..cranks.

ill check back in a few hours, any kind of advice owuld be appreciated. =
Old 10-17-2009, 08:14 PM
CF Veteran

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Year: My Jeep is a GMC

Are you sure your getting 12V to the ignition?
Old 10-17-2009, 08:37 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1997
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

Open the distributor and see if you are getting any kind of arcing or carbon tracking. Check the center button of the distributor and rotor. Also check the plug wires for any signs of carbon. Check resistance of plug wires less than 25,000 ohm. Finally, the coil????
Old 10-17-2009, 08:51 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Sounds simple and trivial but double check the grounds.
Old 10-17-2009, 08:54 PM

Yes , we're getting 14.5 - 15 amps. Had the alternator tested. We have a feeling it's in the timing.
Old 10-18-2009, 08:23 PM

Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

I built my 91 4.0 with all new including a cam and after it wouldn't start, I found that the new cam held the dist. gear/shaft higher and lost contact with the pickup, A good way to try the same thing is too leave the dist bolt loose maybe 1 or 2 turns and allow the housing to rise up and align the pickup with the rotor. I did install a diff distributor and it ran till I sold it 5 years later.
Just a thought { it worked for me}
Old 10-25-2009, 03:25 AM

well, we took the front back off the jeep, checked to make sure our timing marks were ok since we werent sure what else to do. put it back together. so itd start but still it just turned over.

my dad has been working on it the last few nights as ive been too busy but we already put a new distributor. still nothing.

ill get an update on anything thats changed in th elast few days but were still stuck.

my dad said it started and ran for about 5 seconds but died shortly after so maybe were gettin it.