Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

1991 Baby needs help

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2010, 07:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1991 Limited
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 L
Exclamation 1991 Baby needs help

Hi there! I am new but found you searching the web...my Baby needs help, she has a non-working part!
She is a 1991 Cheorkee Limited Edition, 4.0 L...inline 6 engine, all kinds of bells and whistles that are slowly breaking and I am having a hard time finding parts (sigh...she actually has a Saturn antena because I couldn't get the electic one replaced for less than $300!!)

But now she has an urgent problem....
Her headlamps don't come on, nor will the brights (flash but won't stay on). Also, the cruise control won't work.
Park lamps work.
So I got a book (not even sure I have the right one) and looked up wiring schematics , and it looks like it all goes thru a combination/dimmer switch on the lever.

Any ideas? Would I need wires or a whole lever? And where would I get one? Parts are few and far between here in Nove Scotia...

Thanks so much guys...if I can't fix my Baby, I will have to stop driving her (and since she had a $3500 "face-lift" two years ago and looks brand new, I hate to think I'd have to retire her over this!!!)
So please take a minute to save her!
Thanks!!
Old 10-11-2010, 07:25 AM
CF Veteran

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Year: 1989 xj sport 2dr
Engine: 12 hole bosch Injectors

first check all fuses and relays iff good wiggle switch tha t operates light also make sure both low beam in dead lights are not burned out
Old 10-11-2010, 07:34 AM

Thanks but I did all that....jiggled and inspected and scratched my head cause nothing seemed to be wrong at least nothing I could "see"....
Old 10-11-2010, 07:40 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Jeepette
Thanks but I did all that....jiggled and inspected and scratched my head cause nothing seemed to be wrong at least nothing I could "see"....
you got a test light pull a head light and check to see if your getting current to the low beam side of bulb
Old 10-11-2010, 07:46 AM

OK. will do....but if I am getting power (which I think it is because they flash when I pull the lever forward, they just won't stay on)....then what will I do next? (saves time from running back and forth in here for a few days...if you don't mind telling me now...
Old 10-11-2010, 07:48 AM

Did you check the relays under the hood or just the fuses in the panel in the cab??? Perhaps you have a bad relay. or could be one simple wire just shorting out. also if you could find a junkyard or get a used lever first try that. I would hate for you to spend a bunch of money with out pinpointing the problem first.
Old 10-11-2010, 07:51 AM

also did the cruise control and the lights quit working at the same time? if not the cruise could be as minor as a fuse or as serious as a vacuum leak. however if they did, I would definitely say probably a new multifunction lever is needed. Let me know!
Old 10-11-2010, 07:54 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Jeepette
OK. will do....but if I am getting power (which I think it is because they flash when I pull the lever forward, they just won't stay on)....then what will I do next? (saves time from running back and forth in here for a few days...if you don't mind telling me now...
no prob if you turn the switch on and you have current its the headlkights them selves your high beams are on comple different circut i guess you push the lever either forward or backward to make them flash if you go the other way with the arm they should stay on correct if you have checked all fuses in the truck and under hood and relasy with test light then i would shoot for the switch it self you need special tools to remeve steering wheel also need to disarm air bag the hardest pat is fishin the harness down the steerig colum tunnel they go in or just drive with high beams on till you get the time or get it done at a shop i think i covered it all nothing is for sure with elec probs ive seen strange thing in the automotive field hope this helps
The following users liked this post:
Gronzy (11-02-2020)
Old 10-11-2010, 07:55 AM

I hear ya...that's why I found your site before I spent a dime!
There are relays, four on the left side (if standing in front of Jeep), but they are not labled and the lest time I went to Canadain Tire, the "mechanic" would not even tell me which one was the horn relay...so my Dad did the "ear" test for me and I got the right one eventually....so I don't know which of the remaining three would be for lights...guess I go experimenting again LOL

will come back when I have checked all this out...thanks so much!

Do you know any web sites that sell used /new Jeep parts? The junk yard here has ntohitng for my baby at all....he told me he would "keep an eye out' for anything coming in (cause I would buy and store them if I have to!)...but nothing yet.

She is getting old, and hard to find anything for her...would pay the duty to have thengs shipped here, so I would appreciate any info on Stateside sites!

Last edited by Jeepette; 10-11-2010 at 07:56 AM. Reason: spelling errors
Old 10-11-2010, 07:59 AM

Ok you are too fast...LOL
they went at the same time...lights will not stay on...only park lights...so driving in daytime only...but I have a car so Jeep is "resting' til I get this fixed...think the whole arm replacement is good idea...no air bags...so just getting someone to replace arm is OK, but finding arm will be hard.

thank you so much! Nice "talking" to you!
Old 10-11-2010, 08:04 AM
CF Veteran

morriss 4x4 or quadratech should be able to help and if you pulled all those parts you self that arte in you pics i think you can do this as for relays a lot oh chrylser use the same relay just check number on top do you have a manual that is a must if you are going to keep her till she drops like im doing with my girl thecruise and lights on same arm
Old 10-11-2010, 08:04 AM

Default definitely sounds like the switch

Yes the switch is difficult to replace and if you are not somewhat mechanically inclined I would not attempt replacing it yourself. as freegdr said, the airbag is touchy and dangerous if you are not sure. also the steering column tunnel is a b*&% to work in. however if you are looking for some good sites. I would go to google and just type... used or reconditioned jeep autoparts... in the search bar. Im sure it will give you hundreds of sites to check. I'll be happy to help you look and see if we can find a decent site. But sometimes you end up paying more for a used or rebuilt part than you will for a new one.
Old 10-11-2010, 08:08 AM

Default I agree with FREEDGR

A haynes or Chilton in an ABSOLUTE MUST for those long term jeep keepers!lol... I wouldnt survive without that book or this site!!! Sorry for the misspell Freegdr! lol

Last edited by 1992jeeper; 10-11-2010 at 08:10 AM. Reason: misspell
Old 10-11-2010, 08:11 AM

Originally Posted by 1992jeeper
Yes the switch is difficult to replace and if you are not somewhat mechanically inclined I would not attempt replacing it yourself. as freegdr said, the airbag is touchy and dangerous if you are not sure. also the steering column tunnel is a b*&% to work in. however if you are looking for some good sites. I would go to google and just type... used or reconditioned jeep autoparts... in the search bar. Im sure it will give you hundreds of sites to check. I'll be happy to help you look and see if we can find a decent site. But sometimes you end up paying more for a used or rebuilt part than you will for a new one.

That is true...about the cost...and I would really apprecaite help finding parts...my hubby is so tired of my baby and the "stress" of keeping her on the road, but I got her when I was a single mom in 1997...and I will be buried in her!!! So we need to keep her "alive"

oh, she has 388,000 km on her (not sure what that is in miles) but she is a fighter like me!!
Old 10-11-2010, 08:12 AM

Originally Posted by 1992jeeper
A haynes or Chilton in an ABSOLUTE MUST for those long term jeep keepers!lol... I wouldnt survive without that book or this site!!! Sorry for the misspell Freegdr! lol
my book is the Hayens for 1984 thru 2000 Cherokee, Wagonerr, Comanche...and it has been a life saver for my Baby!

Quick Reply: 1991 Baby needs help