Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

1990 Limited starting problem - HELP

Old 02-24-2013, 11:42 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default 1990 Limited starting problem - HELP

HELP! I just got a 1990 Cherokee Limited that has been sitting in the wet Seattle weather for a year. Yes it has a leak as the 2" of water on floor board will prove, ugh! Anyway, the problem is getting it to start. If I disconnect the battery and then reconnect it, the Jeep will fire right up 2 sometimes 3 times, then it will not start again until I disconnect and reconnect the battery again. When it does not start, I have spark to the plugs, I smell fuel in the intake, and sometimes it tries to fire but just wont start. We tried trickling some fuel in the intake, but that just resulted in a small fire in the intake but the jeep did not start. This leads me to believe that the spark is not firing at the correct time. I did dry out the cap and rotor as it was wet in the distributor, but that didn't help. The guy I got the Jeep from swears he parked it under the tree a year ago and just left it there but it was running fine at the time. I'm thinking its got to be a sensor or maybe the ecm as I think I'm reseting something when I disconnect and reconnect the battery. Please help, this is driving me crazy!
Old 02-25-2013, 12:22 AM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

Start with a good battery post and clamp cleaning, RENIX models are bad for the terminals being even a little dirty, and make sure your starter wiring is tight. Other things to look at are the starter relay(just under the plastic cover by the battery) and loose grounds. Also the CPS could be telling you it's going out. I am assuming that it cranks but won't start?
Old 02-25-2013, 12:36 AM
Seasoned Member

Yes, it cranks but won't start. It's just so weird that when I disconnect and reconnect the battery, it starts right up. It did just sit for a long time in our wet weather tho. There was even mold on the spark plug wires!
Old 02-25-2013, 12:41 AM
Seasoned Member

BTW, once it starts, it stays running. I let it run for 30 minutes just to check and it warmed up and did fine, till I turned it off and tried to start it a 3rd time. Seems to run pretty good to for having over 300,000 miles!
Old 02-25-2013, 12:44 AM
CF Veteran

I'm thinking if you had it running already and you have the crank no start, the CPS may be the culprit. A couple of the other guys that can help will be on tomorrow morning most likely.
Is it running rich at all, or acting like it wants to start but won't?
Old 02-25-2013, 12:54 AM
CF Veteran

Time for a tune up, if you haven't already. New plugs (champion coppers, don't get sucked in to the super duty 15 prong ultra spark maximizer) wires, cap, and rotor. For the cap and rotor make sure they have brass contacts, wires just whatever you like best I haven't heard anyone speak of specifics as being good or bad.
Also being a 90 means your a renix like me. Click the cruiser54's mostly renix tips on my signature for lots of helpful tips on keeping up your renix. Specifically in your case you should unplug every electrical connection clean and put some dielectric gel on them and hook them back up. Next do the ground refreshing.
Both are cheap or free and easy just need to take the time to do it.
Old 02-25-2013, 12:54 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Baddad
BTW, once it starts, it stays running. I let it run for 30 minutes just to check and it warmed up and did fine, till I turned it off and tried to start it a 3rd time. Seems to run pretty good to for having over 300,000 miles!

Mine has got 433,907 and still runs like a top(kinda). I had this problem YEARS ago for a minute, it's gonna take a minute to remember the fix.
Old 02-25-2013, 12:58 AM
CF Veteran

Damn mines just a baby compared to you guys, I'm just under 200k.
Old 02-25-2013, 01:04 AM
CF Veteran

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Year: 90,84
Engine: 4.0,2.5

Ha! Finally you spill the beans Highmilage! 433 eh? Wow. (I'm only 272K)

Hey Baddad. You got a digital volt meter? You pretty much need one to do much with a Renix Jeep. Even the $5 Harbour Freight one works.

This CPS test is a great place to start. Cruiser who did the wright ups found in my signature will be up supper early PAC time. Welcome, and good luck!

AC voltage CPS test; Small clips on the meter leads really helps.

Unplug the connector at the back of the manifold with wires going down to the bell-housing/cps.
Probe the two wires to the cps with the meter set on AC volts. (a 200 scale on mine).
Crank the engine and note the voltage. (jump it if your battery is low)

Mine somehow works with only .3 my wiring/grounds must be pretty spiffy. .5 seems to be a good mark. One article talked of .5 to .8. **
Update, it soon failed. I installed Napa #css980 in my 90.**

If it's low you can modify the cps. With the next largest bit that won't fit in the hole, enlarge the hole's in the bracket just a tad. Now when mounting it's crucial to maintain firm downward pressure on it while tightening the bolts. An assistant could help with that from above.
Old 02-25-2013, 01:23 AM
Seasoned Member

Sometimes it acts like it wants to start, and it will get a faint fuel smell if I keep cranking on it. Just did the CPS AC voltage test and sure enough, it only put out .2-.3 volts so I guess the CPS is toast. I'll get one from NAPA tomorrow, pick up some electrical cleaner to and go to town on the connectors! Thanks for all your help! I will let you know how this all comes out. highmileage, If you remember that fix please let me know. Thanks again.
Old 02-25-2013, 01:34 AM
CF Veteran

7/16-11mm socket to 3in extension to a universal. Then 18-24 inches of extension to your ratchet. On your back with your feet out under the passenger side your right hand on the ratchet ends up down near the tranny cross member.
You can then reach up with your left hand past the drive-line to hold the CPS. (unless your arm is too big). Don't drop a bolt in there! If it has the plastic shield thing, toss it. If you tie a long string on the old one from up top first, you will have that to haul the new one back up.

The second one is easy! Have fun.

Yes, I guess you are safe with NAPA or OEM. I gotta wonder about that fuel...hope it's OK. I might at least put 5 fresh gallons in it and 32 0z of rubbing alcohol. Not even sure if alcohol helps with our new blends though! When you are cleaning connections don't miss that ceramic fuel pump ballast resistor on the inner fender by the air cleaner.

Last edited by DFlintstone; 02-25-2013 at 01:47 AM.
Old 02-25-2013, 01:43 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by DFlintstone
7/16-11mm socket to 3in extension to a universal. Then 18-24 inches of extension to your ratchet. On your back with your feet out under the passenger side your right hand on the ratchet ends up down near the tranny cross member.
You can then reach up with your left hand past the drive-line to hold the CPS. (unless your arm is too big). Don't drop a bolt in there! If it has the plastic shield thing, toss it. If you tie a long string on the old one from up top first, you will have that to haul the new one back up.

The second one is easy! Have fun.
Geez that sounds like loads of fun.
Old 02-25-2013, 01:50 AM
CF Veteran

The first one can really suck,
Old 02-25-2013, 09:59 AM
Seasoned Member

I added fuel dryer/stabilizer and about 3 fresh gallons when i started this adventure. Thanks for the tips on replacing the CPS. Only paid $200 for the jeep so trying to keep it cheap until I can figure out if its a keeper or not. Plan is to get it running, then down to my sons detail shop to get it cleaned (there is mold everywhere! Yuk!), then evaluate it from there.
Old 02-25-2013, 04:47 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by PNWjeeper
Geez that sounds like loads of fun.

If you want to make it a little easier to get to but with a little more work you can put a jack under the tranny and drop the tranny mount and lower the tranny till you have a better grip on things.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 1990 Limited starting problem - HELP