Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

1990 Jeep Cherokee: Crooked Steering Wheel Fix?

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2011, 10:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default 1990 Jeep Cherokee: Crooked Steering Wheel Fix?

I've been lurking these forums for a while and am glad to be the owner of a 1990 Cherokee. Though I hate to start out right away by asking a question, I need your help, please. As you can see in the image below, my steering wheel is way off-center. This is what it looks like with the wheels straight dead ahead:

After popping the cover off, I see there's a couple series of screws. No big deal. But there's also a plastic collar with three open parts for the spokes of the steering wheel. Though I have a copy of the FSM, I couldn't find a diagram of this layout. Has anyone addressed this problem before and maybe provide me some insight on correcting the crookedness of my steering wheel? Thanks in advance!
Old 09-13-2011, 10:58 PM

I feel kind of stupid now...After I posted this, I kept searching online about my problem. Anyway, after a bit, I wandered into a TJ forum and they posted this picture:

http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/b...lignment01.jpg

Long story short, you align your wheel with the drag link outlined in the picture above. We'll see if it takes a couple tries to get it set right, but I guess I found the answer to my question. I figured I should post this in case any else is curious about the same thing.
Old 09-13-2011, 11:00 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1993
Engine: 4.0 ltr

Park your Cherokee with the tires straight. Leave the steering wheel unlocked. Crawl under the front of the XJ. There is a long bar that goes from the steering box all the way across almost to the passenger tire. This is called a drag link. There is an adjusting sleeve close to the steering box end. Loosen both nuts and adjust the sleeve until your steering wheel is straight. Tighten bolts.

Edit: Looks like you found your answer while I was typing this out.. Good luck, it's not that hard.

Last edited by prerunner1982; 09-13-2011 at 11:02 PM.
Old 09-13-2011, 11:12 PM

Originally Posted by prerunner1982
Park your Cherokee with the tires straight. Leave the steering wheel unlocked. Crawl under the front of the XJ. There is a long bar that goes from the steering box all the way across almost to the passenger tire. This is called a drag link. There is an adjusting sleeve close to the steering box end. Loosen both nuts and adjust the sleeve until your steering wheel is straight. Tighten bolts.

Edit: Looks like you found your answer while I was typing this out.. Good luck, it's not that hard.
Yeah, I just did it. Very easy (thankfully I had a 15mm wrench on hand). I'll have to see if it makes a difference or where the wheel settles while driving. Thanks for the quick response though - I appreciate it.