Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

1989 jeep cherokee fuel rail/line problem HELP ASAP

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2012, 12:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default 1989 jeep cherokee fuel rail/line problem HELP ASAP

I have a 1989 jeep Cherokee 6 cyl 2wd and its been having some problems for quite some time it seems like the o rings keep going bad in the fuel rail where the fuel line connects to it the clip is brand new but i'm ALWAYS having to replace the o rings sometimes if i push against the fuel line while having someone turn it on it starts right up. Am I getting the wrong o rings? Do my injectors need cleaned? Is it the fuel rail? PLEASE HELP been having this problem for MONTHS.
Old 08-28-2012, 08:52 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1997 & 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

There's a few issues with the fuel rails that you may be experiencing. You didn't say specifically whether they leaked or not, so I'm just going to assume that they are aside from not seating correctly. One is that you may not be lubricating the o-rings before seating them in the head and rail. They have to be lubed or they tear and/or don't seat correctly. Just use regular motor oil to do this after you place them on the injector. Another is that you may have contaminants, grit and such, in the ports in the head where you try to seat them and they don't seal. Make sure to clean out the ports well before you seat the injectors. The last is a common issue with the base metal composition of the rail. They will corrode at the input cups for the injector which can cause sealing issues and can damage the o-rings. I had to deal with this when I replaced the injectors on the '97. What has to be done is to remove the rail, get something to smooth out the lining of the cups removing all corrosion (a Dremel works very well with a deburring tip), clean out the cups very well with carb or brake cleaner spray making sure that they are smooth and clean (be careful not to grind too much elongating the cups), and reassemble the rail using well oiled o-rings.

How I found to put everything back and not risk doing trauma to the o-rings, which is not that hard to do, was to seat them in the head first and then place the rail on the injectors. Then I tapped each injector into place with a mallet holding the rail in place so it didn't shift. Just forcing them down by pressing caused me to rip a few, so I changed my procedure. This seemed to work best in the end.

Make sure you are getting the correct o-rings.