Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

1989 4.0 sport overheating

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2013, 01:33 PM
CJO

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1989 XJ 2 Door Sport
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default 1989 4.0 sport overheating

https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f2/198...heating-24448/

I just bought my first jeep and it is a 1989 2 door sport. I am having this same overheating problem and i have just replaced the thermostat and she is still running a little hot (hotter when it sits) I have come to the conclusion that there is air trapped somewhere in the system however no matter what I try including suggestions posted above I cant seem to get it out. I have tried to squeeze the air out of the hoses and I have also tried burping the air out of the radiator by running the engine with the cap off for a moment then letting some hot coolant and air escape, keeping the coolant levels at max while doing this of course. I am afraid that if I drain it and attempt to refill it I will make another air pocket. I believe this symptom is called "Air Lock" looking for any sort of input the jeep is amazing but i cannot seem to get past this!!! Also the bottle and cap seem to be in excellent shape and is not cracked or damaged.

Name:  temporary.jpg
Views: 194
Size:  201.1 KB
Old 06-18-2013, 01:47 PM
CF Veteran

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Year: 1989 xj sport 2dr
Engine: 12 hole bosch Injectors

Ok getting hot while idleing-clutch fan main suspect there. Aother thing the level in pressure bottle you show in pictures is about where it should be when hot. The bottle does not get filled to top there has to be room for expansion.
Old 06-18-2013, 02:06 PM
CJO

K I will look into getting it replaced and let everyone know if that fixes my problem thanks so much
Old 06-18-2013, 03:03 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by CJO
K I will look into getting it replaced and let everyone know if that fixes my problem thanks so much
Check it first its very simple to do.
Old 06-18-2013, 03:13 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1998 Sport

Where did you get your t-stat from. Many people have had very bad luck with after market ones. The best is a OEM t-stat from the dealer. Also it should be 195*. But you should already know that since you have done some research. Good luck and let us know what you find.
Old 06-18-2013, 03:16 PM
CJO

Yep the T stat I got was actually set at 190 degrees but i figured that was close enough. And Im looking up how to do the clutch fan test right now haha definitely not the only person dealing with this. Thanks again so much guys I'll keep you posted.
Old 06-18-2013, 03:23 PM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0L HO

Since u just bought a XJ, presume the PO did nothing regarding cooling system maintenance, or any maintenance for that matter, unless of course the glove box is full of receipts for parts, fluids, etc. The XJ cooling system has got to be one of the cheapest for parts and easiest to do of just about any vehicle out there. Don't guess, when it comes to the cooling system, just "git 'er done", all of it, and move on. Summer is just around the corner. "If it ain't broke, don't fix it", DOES NOT APPLY TO THE COOLING SYSTEM.

Burping the XJ cooling system is a non-issue.....just let the motor idle with the bottle cap off and maintain about 1/3 full bottle 'til the stat opens then close it up. The bottle must always have some coolant in it hot or cold. Raise the hood and check coolant level in the bottle frequenrly.

Last edited by djb383; 06-18-2013 at 03:30 PM.
Old 06-18-2013, 03:37 PM
CJO

Originally Posted by djb383
Since u just bought a XJ, presume the PO did nothing regarding cooling system maintenance, or any maintenance for that matter, unless of course the glove box is full of receipts for parts, fluids, etc. The XJ cooling system has got to be one of the cheapest for parts and easiest to do of just about any vehicle out there. Don't guess, when it comes to the cooling system, just "git 'er done", all of it, and move on. Summer is just around the corner. "If it ain't broke, don't fix it", DOES NOT APPLY TO THE COOLING SYSTEM.
You said it brother!! The previous owner was a younger guy about about 18. He did not mention the over heating and did not seem to know anything about it when i asked him later (he is an acquaintance of mine) He obviously loved the jeep as much as i do cause he has tons of extra parts and add on stuff for me but nothing pertaining to this specific problem. Trust me i want to work this out and keep this jeep till I die it just has me in the dumps because as of right now its also my everyday driver. Thankfully i only live 3 blocks from work i have been walking everywhere to be sure not to add any unnecessary heat wear (keep in mind the jeep is not red lining but is above 210)
Old 06-18-2013, 03:40 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by CJO
Yep the T stat I got was actually set at 190 degrees but i figured that was close enough. And Im looking up how to do the clutch fan test right now haha definitely not the only person dealing with this. Thanks again so much guys I'll keep you posted.
Get up to operating temp 190 area shut of motor and spin fan with hand .It should be stiff to turn if it spins freely replace it. Its that simple .
Old 06-18-2013, 03:41 PM
CJO

Awesome thanks Ill do that right now!
Old 06-18-2013, 03:43 PM
CF Veteran

Previous owner being young most likely never sat still long enough to notice rising temps ...roomey zoom zoom ...lol...
Old 06-18-2013, 03:45 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by djb383

Burping the XJ cooling system is a non-issue.....just let the motor idle with the bottle cap off and maintain about 1/3 full bottle 'til the stat opens then close it up. The bottle must always have some coolant in it hot or cold. Raise the hood and check coolant level in the bottle frequenrly.
Deff this should be addressed for peace of mind.next
Old 06-18-2013, 03:55 PM
CJO

Originally Posted by freegdr
Get up to operating temp 190 area shut of motor and spin fan with hand .It should be stiff to turn if it spins freely replace it. Its that simple .
Yea she got up to 190 I turned it off and the fan spun easily when i pushed on it with my fingers. I looked it up and the OE replacement part is only 44 bucks on PartsTrain.com I guess thats my next step wish me luck =/
Old 06-18-2013, 03:58 PM
CF Veteran

Autozone was cheaper .http://www.autozone.com/autozone/par...mString=search
Old 06-18-2013, 04:00 PM
CF Veteran