Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

1988 Radio problems???

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2010, 07:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1988
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Question 1988 Radio problems???

I have been having trouble with my radio. When I got the jeep It had a pioneer in it and nothing was wrong then I put it into 4 wheel drive and it was okay but when I tried to turn on my fog lights (which I didnt know that thats what that switch was for and that I dont have fog lights) It started to cut out and eventually just quit all together. so I got an old radio we had laying around from our other car and I tried to put it in I matched up everything or so I think I did but I still cant get it to light up and I have checked all of my fuses but nothing is working any ideas?? here are some pics.
Back of the radio.

the wiring harness.

the front.
Old 03-25-2010, 11:47 PM

Year: 1989
Engine: 4.0 Inline 6

OK, if you have the switch, then it apparently had factory fog lights when new that a previous owner must have removed. I would check to make sure they didn't leave bare wire showing when removed lights. If there is bare wire showing, it is possible when you flipped the switch it sent current through to the lights that used to be installed and it shorted on metal somewhere. When you flipped the fog light switch did you notice if it worked for a short period(even if only a second or two) then fade out or quit immediately? If quit immediately, I'd bet you fried a fuse, link or relay. If worked for short period, then I'd say you might have burned either a hot or ground wire/s, especially if you noticed a burnt smell.

Did anything else quit working(panel lights, dimmer switch, cigarette lighter socket, etc...)?

Since happened when flipped fog light switch, I'd check the fog light relay and make sure you didn't fry it. On my '89 it's located in engine compartment on drivers side fenderwell near headlight/side marker light. Also, you might check the ground wires. On mine, the radio ground is spliced into many other grounds(dimmer switch & lighter socket to name a couple) and is grounded on left side of steering column under the dash.

First thing I'd do though is check the ground. Just run a new ground off radio to a good source and see if radio works. If so, you know it's a ground issue somewhere. If that doesn't work then I'd make sure you didn't fry the radio. Otherwise, you might fix what originally caused the problem but not know it because you fried the radio, but let's think positive. Just pop the hood, get a few short pieces of wire and try running the hot wires(12 volt & Acc.) straight to positive post on battery and ground the negative to good metal somewhere and see if display lights up. If not, ya got a fried radio. If so, you at least know for sure radio still works.

Anyway, best of luck! Electrical/wiring issues can be a time consuming, aggravating process.

Last edited by RoadWarrior00; 03-25-2010 at 11:51 PM. Reason: corrections
Old 03-25-2010, 11:50 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1992

Originally Posted by RoadWarrior00
OK, if you have the switch, then it apparently had factory fog lights when new that a previous owner must have removed. I would check to make sure they didn't leave bare wire showing when removed lights. If there is bare wire showing, it is possible when you flipped the switch it sent current through to the lights that used to be installed and it shorted on metal somewhere. When you flipped the fog light switch did you notice if it worked for a short period(even if only a second or two) then fade out or quit immediately? If quit immediately, I'd bet you fried a fuse, link or relay. If worked for short period, then I'd say you might have burned either a hot or ground wire/s, especially if you noticed a burnt smell.

Did anything else quit working(panel lights, dimmer switch, cigarette lighter socket, etc...)?

Since happened when flipped fog light switch, I'd check the fog light relay and make sure you didn't fry it. On my '89 it's located in engine compartment on drivers side fenderwell near headlight/side marker light. Also, you might check the ground wires. On mine, the radio ground is spliced into many other grounds(dimmer switch & lighter socket to name a couple) and is grounded on left side of steering column under the dash.

First thing I'd do though is check and make sure you didn't fry the radio. Otherwise, you might fix what originally caused the problem but not know it because you fried the radio, but let's think positive. Just pop the hood, get a few short pieces of wire and try running the hot wires(12 volt & Acc.) straight to positive post on battery and ground the negative to good metal somewhere and see if display lights up. If not, ya got a fried radio. If so, you at least know for sure radio still works.

Anyway, best of luck! Electrical/wiring issues can be a time consuming, aggravating process.
smart dude

try dissconecting the orange (illumination) wire
Old 03-26-2010, 12:41 AM

well I dont think it is the radio because It is a completely different one. and both of them work when I hook it up. I have never done this before and its my first car so to be honest i dont know what I am doing. But I can follow instructions good like I fixed my steering column thanks to this forum. and thanks for the replys.
Old 03-27-2010, 04:03 AM

Could you post how you have it wired.

List each wire coming from radio and what it's label says its for and the color of the factory wire it is connected to through the connector.
Old 03-27-2010, 10:54 AM

Default These may help you

Here's radio wiring diagrams for my '89 Cherokee I had. Guessing your '88 is same/similar.
Attached Images   
Old 03-28-2010, 10:34 PM

Well, not getting any responses so guessing you either got it fixed or gave up. LOL
Old 06-20-2010, 02:14 AM

gave up but now I am trying again
Old 06-20-2010, 03:38 AM

proud to say it is fixed guess I just needed a break from it. ty for all the help
Old 01-01-2011, 05:02 PM

Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Default Radio shuts off.

My 1993 Country is also having radio problems. Sometimes, when I use the turn signals or the brakes the radio shuts off and will come back on momentarily. Always, when I push the cigarette lighter in, the radio shuts off and will come back on when I pull it out. I can't find the ground connection. Is it on the left side of the steering column under the dash?

Thanks

Last edited by Bruce Bonds; 01-02-2011 at 09:17 AM.