Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

1986 4 cyl 2.5L timing problem?

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2016, 08:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default 1986 4 cyl 2.5L timing problem?

Hey all, thanks for looking.

I decided to do some maintenance on my 1986 Jeep Cherokee Pioneer 4 cyl 2.5l. I replaced the starter, wires, spark plugs, cap and rotor. However, in the process of replacing the rotor I broke the distributor. The rotor was rusted onto the distributor and I whacked it a couple times with a screwdriver and the distributor had an inch of vertical play after the fact. Honestly, if it broke that easily it needed to go. So, I removed the distributor and put a new one in, following all the directions on the Haynes manual to the dime. Now the engine won't start. It'll turn over and almost catch, but it never starts. I took out the distributor again, thinking I got the TDC wrong or maybe my pulley was off because of age or I was trying it on the exhaust stroke and not the compression. When the distributor is installed the rotor refuses to go to the 6 o clock position. I can get it to about the 5:30 or 5:40 position but it won't hit 6 o clock in synchronization with TDC. About forty tries later I am out of ideas. The 1# piston is definitely at TDC on the compression stroke, I have checked my firing order twenty times, so what could be wrong?

Thanks.
Old 12-29-2016, 10:58 AM

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: 4.0L

Do you have ANY spark at the plugs? Try removing all the spark plugs and check #1 for spark. It will also be easier to find TDC and post#1 on the dizzy with the spark plugs out.

Did you swap the pickup guts from your old dist to the replacement one? Is the replacement one the EXACT same? Maybe swap the pickups otherwise.

Incorrect timing will pop thru the intake and sound odd. It may even run but poorly.

Im thinkin' you don't have spark. Check all connections.
Old 12-29-2016, 11:32 AM
CF Veteran

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Year: My Jeep is a GMC

Did the drive gear come out with the old distributor?
Are you lining up the oil pump driveshaft to catch the distributor when you drop it?
Old 12-29-2016, 11:41 AM

Diskman, thanks for the reply.

I do have spark, fuel, and compression and I do remove cyl. 1# to find TDC. I am not sure what you mean by the 'pickup guts' of the old distributor. I did not transfer over any parts to the new one. It is exactly the same, however I did order another one that will come in today, hoping the 'old' new one is defective somehow.

Turbo,

Yes, the drive gear came out. I am lining it up, and I have adjusted it many times to try and make the rotor face 6oclock. Haynes says to put it in the 10oclock position, which I have tried numerous times.

Thanks guys.
Old 12-29-2016, 11:51 AM
CF Veteran

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Year: 1999 XJ
Engine: I6 4.0L

Don't go by the Haynes manual - I can't remember the specifics but on my 2.5L it's easy to get it wrong. A 1986 doesn't have the "pickup guts" Discman was referring to- he's thinking OBDI. Just keep stabbing the engine with the distributor shaft until it starts. It'll fire up right away when you get it right.

http://www.wranglerforum.com/f218/ti...yj-191534.html

Last edited by alpine.adrenaline; 12-29-2016 at 11:54 AM.
Old 12-29-2016, 12:05 PM
CF Veteran

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Year: 1999 XJ
Engine: I6 4.0L

6 o'clock doesn't sound right- at TDC the distributor tab should be pointing at the #1 plug wire, or just barely past it. I thought that was more like 3 o'clock...
Old 12-29-2016, 09:26 PM

Just to keep everyone updated if anyone is following this thread...

I got myself a new dist., thinking the 'old' new one was defective. No luck there. I decided things were starting to get beyond me.. I called up a mechanic, who tried to walk me through exactly what I have been doing for the past few days. I am having it towed to his shop tomorrow for him to look at it. Will update for future reference.

Thanks again guys.
Old 12-29-2016, 09:51 PM
CF Veteran

When properly installed the rotor should be pointing @ #1 cylinder which is ~ 3:30 when viewed dead on from the passenger side of the block in this video on installation.
Old 12-30-2016, 12:02 AM

Turbo,

My year of Jeep is a bit different than that. Mine does not have those holes in the distributor and it also doesn't have the cam sensor, it is totally non-adjustable.

I tried 3:30 and it still did not fire up. Why would it be 3:30 if the Haynes manual says 6oclock?

Thanks again.
Old 12-30-2016, 12:21 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by stardust22
Why would it be 3:30 if the Haynes manual says 6oclock?
Haynes may be incorrect, I was going to send you to pacific coast for a FSM but their site is apparently down.
If cruiser is around, he'll definitely know.

Last edited by Turbo X_J; 12-30-2016 at 12:50 AM. Reason: poop