Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

14 years 200K old coil springs - to replace or not?

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2010, 11:33 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L I6
Question 14 years 200K old coil springs - to replace or not?

Guys, I've got a question, maybe you can share a thought on that one.

So mine is XJ sport auto 4x4 '96 ...200K on it , so was on the road enough
No lift.

well, it's about 1/3 a new truck by now after all the joyful sufferings I went through with it (or better say under it) already ...

Replacing leaf springs with new crown ( I've got these: http://www.quadratec.com/products/56010_10.htm ) was a big!!! improvement.

Now what I am thinking about putting new coil springs, but am not sure about it. The springs look fine, but so what...
What do you guys know about this. Do coil springs get "softer" or weaker over time. Would it be wise to put new springs or would it be just waste of moola' ?
I am thinking about coils from quadra', they are only 40 bucks a piece. ( http://www.quadratec.com/products/56018_000.htm )

Should I expect from 1/8 to 1/4 inch of lift from installation of the new coils? ...heh heh

thanks in advance, guys
you rock !
Old 08-16-2017, 03:21 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1991 Loredo
Engine: 242 4.0L HO I6 Power Tech
Smile Coil Spring Bump?

Ok, I know this thread is 14 years old...

But did you ever get an answer?

I'm in the same boat right now. My XJ is a 91 with 135K on it. When I bought it, it had death wobble... I'm thinking that death wobble may have beat on all front end suspension parts in general (it beat the heck outta me).

I've been slowly repairing replacing upgrading suspension/ motor/ and other parts, but it's pretty much all stock/ OEM stuff. I'm looking at springs, and they're not really that expensive. So while I'm in there replacing shocks and maybe a couple other suspension parts...

Do I replace the coil springs ?
Better yet, How do you know when your coil springs are shot and need to be replaced?
Old 08-17-2017, 05:23 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

If its a car or truck i daily drive or care about,I replace the springs on them if they have over 130k or i can tell they have sagged or ride rough.So if you want a lift its the best time to do it if not oem replacement springs are cheap and worth it to me.And if the shocks look bad or it rides rough replace the also.
Old 08-17-2017, 07:55 AM
Beach Bum

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Year: 2000 WJ
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

I also like to replace springs on a vehicle with over 100,000 miles. I bought a 2000 Grand Cherokee with near 200,000 and replaced just the coils at first (shocks later). The ride was noticeably improved, and smoother on rough side streets.
Old 08-18-2017, 02:14 PM

That's what I figured...
Whilst I'm doing the front and rear shocks... AND the rear springs...

Wouldn't make sens to NOT do the front springs too.

Thanks for your responses.
Old 08-18-2017, 03:45 PM
CF Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by williamhenry
That's what I figured...
Whilst I'm doing the front and rear shocks... AND the rear springs...

Wouldn't make sens to NOT do the front springs too.

Thanks for your responses.
You mean the coil springs you asked about? Haha
Old 08-19-2017, 09:47 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0L I6

Hi all and thank you for bumping the old thread and actually making me to stop by ...as I was not around for a while, forgot my password ��
So as others say, if you ask me now I'd say replace them and don't think about.
I still have the old ones and they are fine , but should of replace them when I was there. Also my daily ride is Honda and GMC truck, so I kinda keep the jeep as a "fun ride" , so I hardly put a 1k a year on jeep ��

Take care
Old 08-21-2017, 10:04 AM

So yesterday I went in to change the front shock... Pulled the tire off and got a close-up look at the coil spring. What I found was, the springs looked very clean, had no rust, the black paint was still there, and it even still had some kind of sticker on it. I figure somebody MUST have replaced these. No way could they be original to the Jeep.

So to answer my own question... should i replace the coil springs?
It depends. Take a close look. are they all rusty and sagging like your leaf springs in the back or not? And in my case - not.

So I replaced one front shock yesterday with a Bilstein yellow and blue, expensive German shock - at the recommendation of lots of you guys here on this forum. Then I test drove and ran over some bumps on the side of the new shock, and then ran over the Same bumps on the side of the old shock - night and day difference. Today I'll do the other side. Rear end leaf springs, hardware and shocks will get done when it gets a little cooler around here.

By the way, found out that the top nut on the Bilstein front shock will NOT tighten down unless you stabilize the allen bolt on the top (otherwise it'll spin indefinitely).