Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

1391 Code solved

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2015, 11:49 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Year: 1996 Two Door Wagoneer
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Default 1391 Code solved

This is the code for loss of signal from Camshaft position sensor (inside the dizzzy on the 96) or Crankshaft position sensor (up on the left top of the bell housing.) Replaced both sensors to be safe. Unknown age, good to do for the long run. But Code persisted. Turned out to be a bad distributor. No lateral shaft slop, but it had huge end float and would crash the rotating plate into the sensor under certain conditions. Probably 3mm of end float. Scoring on the rotating plastic disc, and on the metal shield attached to it. New distributor solved that problem. Got 35K out of the "rebuilt" that just failed. I think they mainly just clean them up. What a rip. The spare I had from the JY was in near perfect condition and works great. No codes!
Old 06-16-2015, 05:19 AM
CF Veteran

Received 82 Likes on 67 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by HappyTrails
This is the code for loss of signal from Camshaft position sensor (inside the dizzzy on the 96) or Crankshaft position sensor (up on the left top of the bell housing.) Replaced both sensors to be safe. Unknown age, good to do for the long run. But Code persisted. Turned out to be a bad distributor. No lateral shaft slop, but it had huge end float and would crash the rotating plate into the sensor under certain conditions. Probably 3mm of end float. Scoring on the rotating plastic disc, and on the metal shield attached to it. New distributor solved that problem. Got 35K out of the "rebuilt" that just failed. I think they mainly just clean them up. What a rip. The spare I had from the JY was in near perfect condition and works great. No codes!

Thanks for that info.
Old 06-16-2015, 09:18 AM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by CCKen
Thanks for that info.
Glad to add my experience on the 1391 code. I know from researching the posts this is a stubborn one to chase down. Hope this helps some people.
Old 06-16-2015, 09:38 AM
CF Veteran

Received 82 Likes on 67 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

What brand was the one that failed?

I found a nice '98 distributor at the bone yard. Disassembled it, lubed, reassembled. It's now my spare.
Old 06-16-2015, 09:44 AM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by CCKen
What brand was the one that failed?

I found a nice '98 distributor at the bone yard. Disassembled it, lubed, reassembled. It's now my spare.

I tried to figure it out. No markings other than some obscure red numbers. The plastic internal parts all looked identical. I wonder if there is really only one source, in Malaysia or somewhere, that makes all the after market ones, regardless of the box they come in at the local auto parts store.

The failed unit did have a washer that had worn to a sliver and came out. Right above the gear. Maybe there was an attempt in the "rebuilding" to take up some thrust slop. Which it did for a while, and then failed.

The replacement one did have a small sticker on it. Can't remember what it said. SNEG and some numbers or something.