Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

10 MPG?

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2013, 12:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1993
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0HO Inline 6
Default 10 MPG?

Here is what I have been noticing lately. My XJ is getting between 10-12 mpg. Just filled up this morning, 14 gallons, 144 miles traveled. I am not a fast driver, I drive more like a grandpa than anything. Plus my XJ is not lifted, almost completely stock except for the tires which are 235's instead of 225's. My Jeep just turned 189k miles. So what could be causing this? Any help is much appreciated.
Old 01-06-2013, 03:22 PM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1989
Engine: 4.0

This really only matters if you've noticed a sudden or progressive drop in economy. 10-12 mpg isn't unheard of with a 4.0 and depends not only on how you drive but where you drive. Going up and down hills, idling, log roads, and snow all will affect mileage even if you're easy on the throttle. A tune-up will likely help...

Basic

Oil and filter
Air filter
Spark plugs
Cap and rotor

Advanced (basic, plus)

Plug wires
All fluids (transmission, diffs, transfer case)
Fuel filter
02 sensors
Backflow injectors
Replace all vacuum lines

Other things to check:

Tire pressure
Exhaust manifold bolts
Make sure you're in "Comfort" mode if you've got an AW4 (auto)
Old 01-06-2013, 03:27 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1998

All good suggestions by F1Addict. Based on experience, if tune-up parts are new or nearly new, I would replace the O2 sensor. Also, is your Check Engine light on?
Old 01-06-2013, 04:07 PM
CF Veteran

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Year: 90,84
Engine: 4.0,2.5

As it happens I just did the same tire swap. After some fumbling around I settled on 5%. So 50 MPH is 52-1/2. & about the same, 57.5, is actually about 60. It aint' much, but you can add 5% to your miles/odometer as well.
Old 01-06-2013, 04:10 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0L

well when mine says empty I really have like 30 more miles to go so you might just have a screwy gauge. I get the same gas but I'm on 36's with stock gears at the moment, I don't see any reason you should be getting that
Old 01-06-2013, 05:26 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1990 Laredo
Engine: 4.0 Inline 6 Renix

at 189k even if your o2 was changed at 100k it would be on its way out... If you have not done a tune up start there.. make sure to get a brass cap and rotor.... and good wires
but f1 addict is defintely put you in the right direction
Old 01-06-2013, 06:57 PM

Year: 1993
Engine: 4.0HO Inline 6

Originally Posted by F1Addict
This really only matters if you've noticed a sudden or progressive drop in economy. 10-12 mpg isn't unheard of with a 4.0 and depends not only on how you drive but where you drive. Going up and down hills, idling, log roads, and snow all will affect mileage even if you're easy on the throttle. A tune-up will likely help...

Basic

Oil and filter
Air filter
Spark plugs
Cap and rotor

Advanced (basic, plus)

Plug wires
All fluids (transmission, diffs, transfer case)
Fuel filter
02 sensors
Backflow injectors
Replace all vacuum lines

Other things to check:

Tire pressure
Exhaust manifold bolts
Make sure you're in "Comfort" mode if you've got an AW4 (auto)
Yesterday I:
changed the oil/filter
Air filter is clean

Today I:
aired up my tires (were @ 40 psi, raised it to 50 psi, we'll see what difference that makes)

It does have an AW4, what is "comfort mode"? I run it almost always in 2wd, I have only used part time 4wd a couple of times in the snow.
I do traverse quite a few hills, but I let the engine slow down instead of hammering it up the hill. I also run about 2 miles of flat gravel road in a day.
Spark plugs were changed last year (by previous owner)
Nothing to my knowledge has been done to the cap & rotor

I have done nothing with any other fluids except topping off the coolant.
Fuel filter I have yet to find, I know I am capable of changing it, I just changed two on a tractor a few days ago. I have no idea where the O2 sensor is, I am new to "on-road" vehicles. I Know I can do all of this but I am just figuring out where everything is and what it does, it is a lot different from the tractors I have worked on.

Originally Posted by belvedere
All good suggestions by F1Addict. Based on experience, if tune-up parts are new or nearly new, I would replace the O2 sensor. Also, is your Check Engine light on?
Check engine light is off, I think I may have to swap the O2 sensor at least.

Originally Posted by DFlintstone
As it happens I just did the same tire swap. After some fumbling around I settled on 5%. So 50 MPH is 52-1/2. & about the same, 57.5, is actually about 60. It aint' much, but you can add 5% to your miles/odometer as well.
Very interesting, thanks!

Originally Posted by mattphillips90
well when mine says empty I really have like 30 more miles to go so you might just have a screwy gauge. I get the same gas but I'm on 36's with stock gears at the moment, I don't see any reason you should be getting that
I usually fill up before the gas light comes on, it has come on 1 time in the last 4000 miles.

Originally Posted by The Rooster
at 189k even if your o2 was changed at 100k it would be on its way out... If you have not done a tune up start there.. make sure to get a brass cap and rotor.... and good wires
but f1 addict is defintely put you in the right direction
Thanks! Looks like an O2 sensor is on the list. Any ideas on what one would cost?
Old 01-06-2013, 11:29 PM
CF Veteran

Get an NTK. 40-60$. (or OEM). I spent a little more to support my local guys. Spray with PB or anything ahead. (days?). I jacked my frame to let the axle hang and came in from the front on my 90. (My Renix might be different). If you chop the wires a 7/8 box wrench should fit. Agreed with the guys above, major mileage issues might be there.

You ever get your codes read? Just a thought. 02 is a great start....there are more sensors though.......

Because they are so important, knowing your 02 is right is a great start. Let us know!

(the puter' might "throw a code", if your 02 heater isn't heating).

Last edited by DFlintstone; 01-06-2013 at 11:38 PM.
Old 01-06-2013, 11:43 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 95
Engine: I6 4.0 242 HO

189k shouldn't be going out... I have 263k on my 95, basic tune up gives me 19mpg on 33's with 3.54 gears
Old 01-07-2013, 12:02 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by rawk krawler
189k shouldn't be going out... I have 263k on my 95, basic tune up gives me 19mpg on 33's with 3.54 gears

"with respect", I disagree. Glad you are doing so well! (puter' jockey here)

I won't mention names, but a number of seasoned members have mentioned these things fail. 60K might even be "smart". Idk if the titanium dioxide, or the Zirconia have different lives, but given the price of gas, and the certainty that they DO fail, knowing the puter' is getting the correct message on the mix makes good scene to me.

19MPG! Great Man! thatrocks!
Old 01-07-2013, 12:46 AM

Year: 1989
Engine: 4.0L I6

Comfort mode was a "feature" installed in earlier AW4 Cherokees that was designed to allow the tranny to shift at lower RPMs, theoretically making the ride more comfortable. This caused the engine to shift at the less than ideal range, decreasing fuel economy. Later Cherokee's with the AW4 were directly wired with the "power mode" setting, for increased fuel economy
Old 01-07-2013, 03:12 AM
CF Veteran

Pete.. or .

Last edited by DFlintstone; 01-07-2013 at 03:17 AM.
Old 01-07-2013, 06:01 AM
::CF Moderator::

Received 1,526 Likes on 1,238 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

Originally Posted by EvstaG
Comfort mode was a "feature" installed in earlier AW4 Cherokees that was designed to allow the tranny to shift at lower RPMs, theoretically making the ride more comfortable. This caused the engine to shift at the less than ideal range, decreasing fuel economy. Later Cherokee's with the AW4 were directly wired with the "power mode" setting, for increased fuel economy
Absolutely correct. Power mode is the one you want to use.

O2 sensors don't always just fail. They get slow to respond.

I couldn't agree more about the tune-up stuff. ALL of it. No gimmicky plugs. I like NGKs. Use them in everything.

Make sure your intake manifold bolts are snug. A vacuum leak in the intake tract can fool the O2 sensor into thinking the engine is lean, and subsequently tell the PCM to add fuel.

Give us your exact tire size, too.

This will help with driveability. Many people think that the lowest possible RPMs are best for fuel economy but that's not true. At low RPMs, with your foot into the pedal, you have low engine vacuum. You want to keep an engine in it's sweet spot where it is efficient. Try this 15 second fix next time you've got the hood opened.

https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f2/free-quick-fix-41821/
Old 01-07-2013, 06:45 AM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0 I6

dont forget winter blend fuel will hurt
my jeep in the summer was getting 16-18
now im getting 12-14 mpg

i drive the same way all the time..what hurting me is im a stickler for letting my jeep warm up in the winter..and short trips

a tip...adjust your t.v. cable...it takes all of 10 seconds to do and it makes a world of difference
Old 01-07-2013, 06:48 AM
::CF Moderator::

Received 1,526 Likes on 1,238 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

Originally Posted by black2000xj
dont forget winter blend fuel will hurt
my jeep in the summer was getting 16-18
now im getting 12-14 mpg

i drive the same way all the time..what hurting me is im a stickler for letting my jeep warm up in the winter..and short trips

a tip...adjust your t.v. cable...it takes all of 10 seconds to do and it makes a world of difference
Good point on the winter blend fuel.

Do the best you can with maintenance, TV cable adjustment, Power mode, and go for it.

Quick Reply: 10 MPG?