Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

01 starter trouble?

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2009, 04:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default 01 starter trouble?

I have a 01 straight six cherokee sport as a second vehicle that I never seem to have any problems with, but today I went to run to the store, the thing wouldn't start. It ran fine yesterday, but it just kept cranking and cranking and it sounded almost like the starter was just spinning away. The truck did eventually start after a long period of time, but it was such a rough start the truck shook violently and it idled very low and sporadically and threw some grey smoke. I know it wasn't the battery and like I said yesterday the thing was fine. Do you think it would just be the starter or should I be more concerned due to the fact that now I have check engine light on? This truck cannot break on me now it only has 75k miles and it's getting too cold for the mustang guess it's time to get a scan tool for this car too. Oh and if it's any help the truck was in a mild fender bender about a week ago there isn't even any physical damage but the front end took the hit, could that have contributed to something?

Last edited by JerseyTrueBlue; 10-17-2009 at 04:29 PM.
Old 10-17-2009, 04:30 PM

Year: 1998
Engine: Inline 6. 4.0 Liter , E3 plugs

My Jeep has the same problem, its sometime will have some dificulty starting, and other it will start right up, i would replace your starter and solenoid, and even take a took at your fuel filter and or fuel pump
Old 10-17-2009, 04:49 PM

Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0L

You may not need a scan tool, try this:

http://offroad-review.com/new/index....b52dc&page=160

Link lists the OBD-II error codes and how to get them with the trip-reset button trick.

I've tried it before, but without a check engine light, I've never had any codes show up. It just cycles "111111, 222222, 333333, etc.." with no code at the end.
Old 10-17-2009, 05:06 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1997
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

Let's not start throwing parts at this vehicle to try to fix it. It can get expensive and not correct the problem. Ok, the battery is good and the engine is cranking. All the starter does is turn the engine over. So, while someone trys to start the engine look at your engine and see if it is turning over. Is it turning over normal, slow, bogging down etc?

Fuel and ignition are the main problem areas for no engine start. So, check for a spark at the plug. If no spark you have an ignition problem. When you switch your ignition to on, your fuel pump runs for a few seconds. It is in the fuel tank, so listen in that area. If you do not hear it you may have a fuel problem.

Do these checks and see what you have. Work from easy and cheap to more difficult and expensive.
Old 10-17-2009, 07:11 PM

Thanks for all the tips guys it's too dark out now I don't feel like messing with it so tomorrow morning I'll check things out and see what happens, whatever it is I hope its not a big issue I bought this truck brand new in 01 and it's ran like a champ since, never any problems. These are really good trucks if you take care of them lol.